Dead starter, trying again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead starter, trying again

Posted yesterday but 0 replies. As a newbie I'm wondering whether it's because the answer's dead obvious or it's really a stumper.

I recently picked up a low-mileage '81 GS450E. It performed well for a few weeks, then I began to notice the blue high-beam indicator coming on faintly when I rolled on some throttle (and with low beam on).

Now the bike won't start -- not even a click from the starter button.

Here's why I believe it's a short related to the kill switch: When I turn on the key, I get only the neutral light and the oil light -- until I flick the kill switch from off to run. At that point the high-beam light comes on, and goes brighter when I depress the starter (even when I have selected low beam or even off). And the starter button registers not a sound. All lights work, so I have juice.

Main fuse is fine. Connections look OK (though its hard to follow cables all the way back). Any suggestions on what I might try? Want to ride some more before the Boston weather turns. Thanks.

Go To Search,tupe In Threads Like Starter Button,starting Problems,kill Switch,starter Button,etc.you Will Find Lots Of Information There.i Promise,i Used Them Myself Just Yesterday.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Yeah, started there before I even registered (Google brought me to this forum). Lots of electrical but nothing that specific. Just thought the weird high-beam cross-up might be something somebody has encountered. I'll dig around some more.

Comment

I would suggest a loose ground some where on the circuit. Sounds to me like when you press the start button the circuit is trying to find ground and is doing it thru another path.
        I may be way off, but I have found that many of the splices in my harness and headlight bucket were very corroded or broken.

Comment

going to need to pull the gas tank off, odds are there is a short in the wing at the connectors that sit right next to each other under the tank.

Comment

Working...
          X