Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS850GZ hard shift and false neutrals

1982 GS850GZ 32K miles

For some time now, it is (sometimes, but not always) hard to shift from 3rd to 4th. When this happens, the gear won't change until I engage the clutch twice. The problem does not seem to happen twice in a row.

Also, I seem to be increasingly hitting false neutrals, especially down-shifting from 5th to 4th, but sometimes between other gears.

Would this be sloppy shifting on my part, or could there be a mechanical issue? Any advice/experience would be helpful.

Thanks,

Caleb

Originally posted by CCMcC View Post
    1982 GS850GZ 32K miles

For some time now, it is (sometimes, but not always) hard to shift from 3rd to 4th. When this happens, the gear won't change until I engage the clutch twice. The problem does not seem to happen twice in a row.

Also, I seem to be increasingly hitting false neutrals, especially down-shifting from 5th to 4th, but sometimes between other gears.

Would this be sloppy shifting on my part, or could there be a mechanical issue? Any advice/experience would be helpful.

Thanks,

Caleb

Is your bike low on oil? Is the oil fresh or are you beyond your service interval? Rough shifting can be caused by low or old oil.

Is this a regular rider, or has it been sitting for awhile? It's worth a shot to check yoru clutch plates, as well - but it may be a bent shift fork.

I'd search the forums for "shift fork".

-Q!

Comment

for what its worth...
      I have (3) 82 GS1100glz bikes, and three sons.
      All three sons have shifted into a neutral between 4th and 5th on all 3 bikes.
      I put the most miles on all 3, and have not yet found the 4th__5th neutral.

Comment

Try sliding your foot farther down the shifter so you get a stronger shift.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

also make sure the pinch bolt on the shift lever is tight.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I have hit that 4-5 false neutral many times. Poor oil can cause it, but it is usually caused by the rider, not the transmission.

Clutch problems should not make this difference as it is possible to shift up and down all day without touching the clutch lever.

A more positive shift effort should reduce the incidence.
            Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

Thanks for the replies...

Gentlemen:

Much appreciated. I only get to ride on odd weekends, so the clutch may be the issue. I will try changing the oil and thinking "positive" when shifting. I may try synthetic oil; though I've seen threads suggesting that synthetic may be bad for the clutch. Synthetic seemed to make a difference in my '88 Husqvarna TE510--smoother shifting while enjoyig those waves of vintage Swedish torque.

Caleb

Comment

I have found when down shifting from 5th to 4th if i just lightly tap the shifter i get neutral.
                just be more positive when shifting.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by CCMcC View Post
                  Gentlemen:

Much appreciated. I only get to ride on odd weekends, so the clutch may be the issue. I will try changing the oil and thinking "positive" when shifting. I may try synthetic oil; though I've seen threads suggesting that synthetic may be bad for the clutch. Synthetic seemed to make a difference in my '88 Husqvarna TE510--smoother shifting while enjoyig those waves of vintage Swedish torque.

Caleb
                  When buying synthetic oil for use in a motorcycle make sure it doesn't say it is an "Energy Conserving" in the small "API" circle. If it does it will have fricition modifiers that will interfere with the wet clutch.

Comment

Synthetic

Thanks for the very useful, specific information regarding synthetic oil. Out of caution, I used straight up old school 10W40 and a new filter for this change. That, paying attention, and a spirited ride keeping pace with a friend riding a late model BMW seemed to have helped.

Caleb

Comment

Working...
                    X