Toil, Toil over Timing trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toil, Toil over Timing trouble

To start with, thanks for everyones previous help. I am working on getting a 78' gs550, with 11,000mi. on her, started. The bike was just given to me, but has sat outside for a year without being started. It was running fine before being parked. It has a brand new fully charged battery, the carbs have been cleaned and it is getting gas. The air box is freshly cleaned as well. It will turn over but not start. I wasn't getting spark but after cleaning the points I am getting a strong spark with all four plugs. I did move the plate when 1st cleaning the points. I was not aware that I was adjusting the timing when I did this . My confusions is that I am doing everything in the manual to adjust the timing but it doesn't seem to change anything. The only thing is where it says to make sure there is no continuity, I think that means the connection isn't there for a spark. That is the only thing I don't know and nothing has changed. The most I can get from her is a loud back fire everyonce in a while. Any help is appreciated. I am almost resigned to taking her to a shop though I don't really want to put that kind of money into a free bike.

It's been a while since I worked on anything with points but as I recall you can usually get them started by retruning the plate to mear it original position. If you get a load backfire it often means you swapped wiring and cylinders are firing backwards (one fires when three should and three fires when one should). Check your wiring and plugs to make sure the are connected correctly. I don't know what test they are talking about when they say there should be no continuity, but all they are saying is that electricity should not flow through the part they are talking about.

Comment

I'll try to look in my gs550 manual tonight.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thanks a bunch, I'll check my plugs. I assume there is a diagram in my manual that shows what plugs go where. I'll check that then get back to you.

Comment

Ditto to FGH. I did just this when I put new coils on becasue the old ones were labled and the new wires weren't. Tried to crank it and all I got was 6 or 7 cranks than BOOM!! Loud backfire. Plug wires were not in the right sequence.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Does your plugs have gas on them?
            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Well, It's not the plugs. They are sized to only fit one spot on each side and are clipped to the engine so they aren't on opposite sides. I was really hoping that was the issue. So simple, yet it never ends that way with me:? . As far as gas on the plugs - yes. I had a guy tell me to spray either down each plug port and in the air box and that it would take care of the gas and at least get it to fire a time or two if not start. Well that didn't work either. If there is something else about the gas on the plugs, let me know. Thanks for all the help.

Comment

A fresh set of spark plugs often helps also, make sure choke is working - DO NOT give it any gas. Jump it with a car battery if you can
                (car not running) sometime it just need that little extra boost after a long hibernation

Comment

This may be a stupid question, but how can I tell if the choke is working right or not? Oh, and the spark plugs are fairly new.

Comment

Working...
                  X