Fuel resistant paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel resistant paint

I'm about to repaint my gas tank myself and was wondering about fuel resistant paint. Is there such a thing.......do they come in spray cans........and what brands are they?
    I've seen several tank paint jobs destroyed by the first overflow of fuel at the pump.
    I'm not going to pay a body shop $500.00 to paint a gas tank.
    I appreciate input, advice, and (pictures if you have them) from all who have done their own paint jobs.
    Thanks,
    GS750GUY

Paint

I've seen that discussed here before so you might find something if you search. I'd suggest you go by a body shop (or two) and ask them. Some of those guys are pretty sharp and I think they'd be glad to steer you in the right direction.:-D
    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Originally posted by GS750GUY View Post
      I'm about to repaint my gas tank myself and was wondering about fuel resistant paint. Is there such a thing.......do they come in spray cans........and what brands are they?
      I've seen several tank paint jobs destroyed by the first overflow of fuel at the pump.
      I'm not going to pay a body shop $500.00 to paint a gas tank.
      I appreciate input, advice, and (pictures if you have them) from all who have done their own paint jobs.
      Thanks,
      GS750GUY

There's an article posted about DIY bike painting here
      http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_repaint.htm

I'm doing the same thing here this weekend if it's nice, but I'll be painting the two side panels as well. Just bought all the supplies.

I didn't see anything about fuel resistant paint, but the article was top notch.

Comment

If you are doing a home paint job with rattle cans, I'd suggest using a flat paint, preferrably black. That way you can easily touch it up and no one would know the better.

To have a truely solvent resistant paint job, you need to use a catylized paint system, that is one that you mix hardener into just before spraying. I don't care how much the can says "fuel resistant," pre-mixed spray paint isn't made to harden. The way it dries is by the mosture evaporating from the paint, leaving color behind. That's how it says liquid in the can for years. A catylized paint uses a chemical reaction to actually harden the paint.

The other alternative I have heard is to have a shop clear coat your paint job after you spray it yourself. But there is a risk of the clear having a negative reaction with your spray paint.

If you try your luck with the spray cans, I'd say your best bet is to make sure the tank cures for at least 30 days before you risk spilling fuel on it. Even then, I think you will be disspointed based on your comments above.

My buddy did his ZRX with flat black and it actually looks ok. It's pretty tough looking. And it's great that if anything happens to it, you can just re-spray it right then and there.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

At home in the garage paint job using black acrylic enamel with a catalyst/hardner and reducer 60-70 dollars? in materials.
          tank, side covers, rear extention, swing arm, case savers.
          Last edited by rustybronco; 03-29-2007, 04:51 PM.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Duplicolor high heat engine paint is fairly fuel resistant.
            They have a clear that shines up well.
            Don't overflow it like an idiot and it will be fine with little droplets now and then.
            Just be careful. it gets better after it cures a while.
            Easy enough to polish it out if there's a problem, or respray the clear if it needs it one day..
            http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Fuel resistant paint

Originally posted by rmarrs View Post
              There's an article posted about DIY bike painting here

I'm doing the same thing here this weekend if it's nice, but I'll be painting the two side panels as well. Just bought all the supplies.

I didn't see anything about fuel resistant paint, but the article was top notch.
              I'm going to do my side panels too. What kind of paint did you decide on? Or have you? Are you also going to clear coat?

GS750GUY

Comment

I think I need to spill more fuel on my tank to get rid of the god awful artwork!

Brad bt

Comment

Fuel resistant paint

Nice looking paint job!! I did think about engine paint. It has to be fairly fuel resistant due to its application. I did see it and its companion clear coat in the parts store. Nice looking paint job on yours and inexpensive and easy to maintain.
                  Thanks for the photo!
                  GS750GUY

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Don't overflow it like an idiot and it will be fine with little droplets now and then.
                  Easy enough to polish it out if there's a problem, or respray the clear if it needs it one day..

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                    Wow, that's an excellent home paint job! Looks great.
                    Currently bikeless
                    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

There is paint that IS solvent resistant & you can get it at any R/C hobby store. Ask for the paints for R/C planes. It is made to resist NITRO & makes it VERY strong. The black is the BEST thing I've ever found to paint engines with. Ray.

Comment

I've had excellent results using catalized PPG paints. DP Epoxy primer and Deltron system clears (several good ones available). Not cheap but top quality and if you do the work yourself, you will save mucho money compared to paying a body shop.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Go to an auto paint supply store. Tell them what you are doing and they will set you up with a color and two part urethane clearcoat system. A pint of each will be enough but quarts are not much more. Use a primer that is compatable. Compatability is a big issue, some paints eat others. They may have rattle can that is compatable with a two part clearcoat. They have glass bottle spray devices that you can use if you have access to an air compressor and an auto touch up gun. I've done 6 bikes, for one I didn't bother with the two part clearcoat. I got to do it over after running gas over it. It is not much harder than the rattle cans, does not take any more skill and is extremely durable. Spilling gas on it does not effect it. I think the stock paint included a two part clearcoat.

For a real professional looking job sand with 1500 grit wet sandpaper after the clearcoat and then use fine polishing compound. It give you a much deeper looking shine.

Bob Uehlein
                          1981 GS550T & 1975 CB550

Comment

[quote=rmarrs;613357]There's an article posted about DIY bike painting here

This is a very god article but there is one thing I disagree with. Do not use rubbing compound on a clearcoat, use a polishing compound. A relatively fine one will work best but take a little more time.

Bob Uehlein

Comment

Originally posted by GS750GUY View Post
                              I'm going to do my side panels too. What kind of paint did you decide on? Or have you? Are you also going to clear coat?

GS750GUY

I'm fairly certain I'm going with Duplicolor. As I have got the bike all ripped apart, the tank is hanging from the tree in the back yard, airing out before I begin sanding. Yes, I'm going to clearcoat after doing a high-gloss black. I'll probably go to the model store and get some of those tiny bottles of paint and do some emblem touch up.

Comment

Working...
                              X