1980 GS 1100 Battery Light indicator on dash is illuminated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS 1100 Battery Light indicator on dash is illuminated

Anybody know what causes the battery light to illuminate for? My battery is new.

Originally posted by hotdergs07 View Post
    Anybody know what causes the battery light to illuminate for? My battery is new.
    If you did not put the battery fluid level sensor on the battery, the light will stay on. Most batteries do not have the sensor any more. I removed the idiot light because I didn't want to spend over $100 for a battery that had the sensor.

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by Hap Call View Post
      If you did not put the battery fluid level sensor on the battery, the light will stay on. Most batteries do not have the sensor any more. I removed the idiot light because I didn't want to spend over $100 for a battery that had the sensor.

Hap
      DUHHH thank you very much, so that is what that extra wire is by my battery!!!! thanks a ton

Comment

If you want to keep your bike original & everything working properly, you can get the batteries with the sensor from JC Whitney & other suppliers for appx. $50, shipped without acid. Acid available from auto parts stores for appx. $3.
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Hook the wire to the + post. The light will go out.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
            If you want to keep your bike original & everything working properly, you can get the batteries with the sensor from JC Whitney & other suppliers for appx. $50, shipped without acid. Acid available from auto parts stores for appx. $3.

I didn't know that! Good info!

Hap

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              Hook the wire to the + post. The light will go out.
              I didn't know that either! More good info!

Hap

Comment

awesome thanks a lot. check out my other thread under the search keyword diode test regulator and look for my user name. I've got some really interesting things going on there.

Comment

Won't help the original poster, but I was able to pull the sensor out of my old battery and, after cutting it down, put it in the new regular battery, and maintain the sensor light function.

Comment

Working...
                  X