Spark Plug Question...totally bizarre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spark Plug Question...totally bizarre

I have a 1981 Suzuki GS550T with less than 9000 miles. Last night, I went to change the spark plugs. I pulled all four plugs out which were NGK B7ES. When I went to replace them, the base (threaded part) on the plug on the far left (while sitting on the bike) is much larger than the other three. You can notice the difference just looking at the spark plug hole compared to the next one. All four plugs are NGK B7ES, even the one with the larger threaded base. Anybody know what the heck is up with this? I've never seen it before. The dealer also gave me NGK B8ES to replace them with which all have the same size threaded portion.

Originally posted by Chuckster View Post
    I have a 1981 Suzuki GS550T with less than 9000 miles. Last night, I went to change the spark plugs. I pulled all four plugs out which were NGK B7ES. When I went to replace them, the base (threaded part) on the plug on the far left (while sitting on the bike) is much larger than the other three. You can notice the difference just looking at the spark plug hole compared to the next one. All four plugs are NGK B7ES, even the one with the larger threaded base. Anybody know what the heck is up with this? I've never seen it before. The dealer also gave me NGK B8ES to replace them with which all have the same size threaded portion.

Hi there Chuck. If you indeed REMOVED 4 B7ES plugs, they were the same size.

If you actually have one hole thats now larger there's a couple of possibilities. First is that you pulled all the aluminum threads (cored out) this one hole and that aluminum thread material is on the one plug. Second (probably more likely) is that this happened in the past and that there was a Helicoil (or similar) thread insert which now has come out with that one plug (check to see if one plug appears to have a odd looking larger thread wound around it's original thread).

If the latter seems to be the case, all "might" not be lost, a properly installed similar type thread insert or one of the other types of replacement "threadsert" type repairs could be still done - at this point you might want to have an experienced engine builder (small, motorcycle or otherwise) do the work. Many times it can be done with the head installed although it's nicer with the head off.

If you're not talking about the actual plug thread hole but merely the base of a plug, I've seen production differences between old stock and new which can make one plug of the same number appear quite different but on close examination the threads, reach, protrustion will be the same even if overall height is slightly different. Hope this helps

Comment

It sounds like the spark plug threads in the head may have been repaired with a thread insert or helicoil. Sometimes this insert comes out with the plug instead of staying in the head.

You might be able to replace the insert if you can figure out exactly which brand it is, or maybe if you're extremely careful you can remove the old insert from the old plug and put it back with some high-temp locking fluid.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Spark Plug Question.....bizarre.....prevention

Just a note to add Chuck regarding prevention of such a problem (initially).
        Never remove spark plugs from a hot ALUMINUM head .....Reason is that immediately after shut-down the aluminum cools quicker than the steel, seizing tightly around the steel plug until all temps are stabilized (cool).

Best cold and never force a plug out or in!

Comment

Originally posted by SPARKSS View Post
          Never remove spark plugs from a hot ALUMINUM head .....

Makes it hard to to plug chops, doesn't it? 8-[

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Makes it hard to to plug chops, doesn't it? 8-[

Comment

Thanks for the information guys. I just looked at the plug again and it does appear there is an outer threaded piece over the original plug. The threads on it are fine as well as the threads in my engine. I hope they are fine in my engine as they appear to be. I actually found out I had a problem when I attempted to screw my compression tester into the hole and it kinda went down easy and had some play in it. So then, I was wondering what the heck had happened, etc. I looked at the hole threads and they appear to be okay. I don't think the tester fit tight enough when I put in down in there to mess the existing threads up. I thought it was threading since it went in so easy until I realized it wasn't tightening up. Is there any way to get the one off the plug I have? Also, where would I get a replacement if I went that route? And finally, how can you secure it next time so it doesn't come out with the plug? By the way, the engine was cold when I did this last night. I've only had the bike several months so this was my first attempt to change the plugs.

Comment

You can check at your favorite auto parts store or a good bike supply to see if they have Heli-Coil kits for re-threading spark plug holes. Most of these kits have a tang on the bottom of the coils that you need to break off, which is not something you want to do unless you can be assured that you will not drop that little piece into the cylinder. Best bet would be to take the head off, but there might be a way to avoid that.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                  You can check at your favorite auto parts store or a good bike supply to see if they have Heli-Coil kits for re-threading spark plug holes. Most of these kits have a tang on the bottom of the coils that you need to break off, which is not something you want to do unless you can be assured that you will not drop that little piece into the cylinder. Best bet would be to take the head off, but there might be a way to avoid that.

Thanks Steve. Nothings easy is it? All I wanted to do was replace the plugs. It started out simple enough.

Comment

I pulled a heli-coil out of a cam cap bolt. I screwed the heli coil off the bolt a couple of turns and reinserted it into the threads with some heli coil locking compound. I then pulled the bolt out of the threads without removing the heli-coil with it. I let it set up and it held fine.
                    Just be careful not to break the heli-coil.
                    Or just get some new heli-coil threads.
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      I pulled a heli-coil out of a cam cap bolt. I screwed the heli coil off the bolt a couple of turns and reinserted it into the threads with some heli coil locking compound. I then pulled the bolt out of the threads without removing the heli-coil with it. I let it set up and it held fine.
                      Just be careful not to break the heli-coil.
                      Or just get some new heli-coil threads.
                      Chef, how did you get the heli coil off the bolt without damaging it? Mine appears to be on my spark plug pretty tight.

Also, how do I figure out what size heli-coil is on it now if I can't get the other one off?

Comment

Size one of the spark plugs that are fine.
                        or
                        Someone here knows the size.
                        I don't.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Size one of the spark plugs that are fine.
                          or
                          Someone here knows the size.
                          I don't.
                          Was the heli-coil already loose on the bolt you mentioned? I was wondering how you got yours off as mine is really on there pretty good.

Comment

Mine came right off. Yours is probably glued together so maybe try some penetrating oil or just get a new one. The hard part of the job is done which is retapping the threads. All you have to do is thread in some new ones.

Comment

Mine came right off. Yours is probably glued together so maybe try some penetrating oil or just get a new one. The hard part of the job is done which is retapping the threads. All you have to do is thread in some new ones.
                              Thanks. Good idea. I'll try some PB Blaster tonight and see if that loosens it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X