Breather gasket. Can I??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breather gasket. Can I??

So I just replaced my head gasket and valve cover gasket on my 1982 GS750e. I removed the breather cover when I removed the engine from the bike (i did other work to the engine...) and right now, as Im about to put it together, I dont have a breather gasket.

Is it possible to just use a high heat silcone gel around the edge? or is it more complex than that, and I will have to buy a gasket?

thanks

Nate
    Last edited by Guest; 04-28-2007, 10:59 PM.

Most mechanics worth their salt will tell you to NOT use silicone as a gasket anywhere gas or oil is involved. Petroleum products will accelerate the deterioration of the silicone, and any of the excess that has squeezed to the inside of the engine is going...where? Yup, inside the engine, to parts unknown, but you can bet they are going to migrate where they can do the most damage. 8-[

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

mrcycles.com.

GASKET,BRTHR CV
      11177-45400-H17 (replaces 11177-45400)
      1$6.32

Just get a new one.

Brad bt

Comment

If its not too complex and you dont feel like waiting for a new one to arrive you can just cut your own. Head down to your local auto parts store and pick up a roll of fiber paper gasket material. A roll is usually less than ten bucks and then you'll have some around for other random gaskets.

Personally though I'd just use some black permetex, the stuff is high temp and oil and gas resisitant. Lay a constant bead (ie dont spread it with your fingers) and you'll be fine. I worked at a reputable shop in houston for two years and youd be surprised how many car companies use similar stuff as OEM on certain parts.

If youre still worried about the silicon use hard setting permetex form-a-gasket. I love this stuff and use it all the time.

Any of these options will work for you.
        Or you could sit around twiddling your thumbs waiting for the "proper" gasket to arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by NATEO View Post
          So I just replaced my head gasket and valve cover gasket on my 1892 GS750e.

Well, if you're just now getting around to it, what's the hurry? I mean, it's lasted 115 years, so.....

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Comment

Originally posted by scotschult View Post
            Well, if you're just now getting around to it, what's the hurry? I mean, it's lasted 115 years, so.....

Sorry, couldn't resist.
            Good. I wasn't the only one!

And Alec, how dare you sully my suggestion of purchasing a new gasket with an inexpensive alternative! :razz: My stock in mrcycles.com will probably take a huge hit because of your suggestion!!

Brad bt

Comment

Originally posted by alecnet View Post
              If its not too complex and you dont feel like waiting for a new one to arrive you can just cut your own. Head down to your local auto parts store and pick up a roll of fiber paper gasket material. A roll is usually less than ten bucks and then you'll have some around for other random gaskets.

Personally though I'd just use some black permetex, the stuff is high temp and oil and gas resisitant. Lay a constant bead (ie dont spread it with your fingers) and you'll be fine. I worked at a reputable shop in houston for two years and youd be surprised how many car companies use similar stuff as OEM on certain parts.

If youre still worried about the silicon use hard setting permetex form-a-gasket. I love this stuff and use it all the time.

Any of these options will work for you.
              Or you could sit around twiddling your thumbs waiting for the "proper" gasket to arrive.
              its That which bugs me... Im getting impatient, and Im broke... I have an extra base gasket that wont fit my bike, so maybe I can cut that to fit...

thanks!

Comment

its That which bugs me... Im getting impatient, and Im broke... I have an extra base gasket that wont fit my bike, so maybe I can cut that to fit...

thanks!
                Fine!! Stab my investment in the heart!!

Brad bt

Comment

Originally posted by scotschult View Post

Sorry, couldn't resist.

well, the stock 115 year old paint was starting to fade, so my brother just painted it today...

and the tires were getting a bit old... they werent replaced since 1902...

imma go fix that... 8-[

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar View Post
                    Fine!! Stab my investment in the heart!!

Brad bt
                    I appreciate it though! I will make sure I keep an eye out at MRCycles....when I have cash.

Comment

I appreciate it though! I will make sure I keep an eye out at MRCycles....when I have cash.

Just send the checks to me. We can skip the middle man that way! 8-[

Brad bt

Comment

Originally posted by bradleymaynar View Post
                        Just send the checks to me. We can skip the middle man that way! 8-[

Brad bt

ha. yea.

oh, you were serious?

Comment

ha. yea.

oh, you were serious?
                          Of course! But please allow 4 to 6 years on delivery.

Brad bt

Comment

I have a good used one you can have for the shipping.
                            Let me double check though.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                            X