Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the problem here?

So,

Last week my bike was running kinda rough and kinda lean. Feelergaugephil gave me some advice and helped me find a good mixture for the bike, and now she's getting all the air and fuel that she should. But now I've run into another mystery.

When it ran lean I was able (albeit dangerously) to get the bike to rev all the way to redline in every gear. It wasn't too much difficulty to get up to 100mph or more. Now that the mixture seems correct (I've checked the plugs several times, always a mocca color) the bike won't rev past about 5500 in 3rd, 4th and 5th gears. It some times hesistates to do it in 2nd as well. It pulls great from idle to 5 grand in 1st, but when I try to take it up past that in 3rd, 4th, 5th, and sometimes 2nd it bogs and dives forward a little, slowing down until it catches up with itself. After it gets back under 5 grand, everything is ok again.

Everything on the bike is stock. I have 117.5 main jets in the carbs. One of my buddies seems to think either my spark plug coils are failing or I have a carberation problem. Tell me what you think.

thatdood

Using a restrictive fuel filter or float settings off? Kinked fuel line? Clogged petcock screen? Sounds like fuel delivery not ignition

Comment

fuel restriction, filter/screen plugged in the tank is one possibility as was said, also if there are screens in the inlet of each carb they maybe plugged also.
      try prime or reserve position on the petcock and see if it changes.
      Last edited by rustybronco; 05-10-2007, 04:40 PM.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Check your float height settings and the needle/seat screens.....:?

Comment

Something else to check is your vacuum line from the carbs to the petcock. If it's cracked or split, lack of suction could cause the petcock not to open fully which wouldn't matter at lower rpms but under high demand would restrict fuel flow...? Ya think? Sounds plausible to me
          Last edited by Guest; 05-10-2007, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor View Post
            Something else to check is your vacuum line from the carbs to the petcock. If it's cracked or split, lack of suction could cause the petcock not to open fully which wouldn't matter at lower rpms but under high demand would restrict fuel flow...? Ya think? Sounds plausible to me
            In theory...I'd say sure. An easy test would be to run it on prime as Rustybronco suggested and see. Has to be a fuel restriction somewhere.

Comment

Yeah, what they said.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X