CV Carbs on a 78 with VMs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CV Carbs on a 78 with VMs

I've got a 78 GS1000E that's getting a new life as a retro street fighter. I got the bike with dirty carbs, electrical woes, rusty tank, typical "behind the garage for 10 years" fare. Slowly but surely it's getting back to the world of the living with Dyna III ignition/coils, Progressive suspension, GS1100 swingarm, custom seat. all the little things that make my wife mad and me happy. None of which is important to my question but since this is my first post and everyone else seems to have a very hot and running GS I had to try..... :-D
    My question is this. I have a pristine set of CV carbies from a 79 1000L or G. I've been putting off rebuilding the VM36s cuz I fear them... The CV's are spaced closer together than the VM's by several centimeters. Is this a boot thing with the 79 engines or is it the intakes on the cylinders that are actually closer together.... Thanks!

Okay spent my break time digging through all the carb stuff in the forum and am making these assumptions.

1 The carbs will work fine
    2 I will have to fab brackets to correctly space the carbs to the intakes
    3 I will have to modify linkage to accomodate correct spacing on carbs from fabbed brackets
    4 I will have to purchase intake boots from a later model bike specifically for the CVs
    5 I can lose the push cable on my throttle as the CVs only pull.
    6 I will have to sell the old VMs to pay for the fab
    Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2007, 11:28 AM. Reason: new information

If you're planning to "spread" the CV's on a new fabbed rack system, you'll have to pick up the nipples for the fuel passages, in longer lengths, as the ones in the rack at this time, will be too short. Choke rod? Throttle rod? Sounds like fun!! :-D Pics when you're done please. \\/

Comment

Why do you so dislike the VM? These are simpler, and easier to work on and tinker with. They function perfectly for that engine. I know this isn't an answer to your question, but I'd much sooner sell the CV's and just clean up the VM's.

They are definitely uglier carbs, but I'd trust VM's many times over compared to CV's.
      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
      __________________________________________________ ______________________
      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

The stock VM carbs are super simple to rebuild. It appears to me that you're willing to invest $150 in new boots and modifications on the CV rack and about 30-40 hours of time to avoid a $10 gasket and "O" ring set and 2-3 hours of time to do the VM rack. I dont see the gain. Performance wise, there will be no difference

E.
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

VM's have no expensive diaphragm to go bad. Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Ruddock View Post
            VM's have no expensive diaphragm to go bad. Dan
            And then there's that.....:shock:

Comment

Ah, so I can make even more assumptions that:
              1 - I know nothing about carbs
              2 - While scary looking and crusty the VM's will be easy to rebuild
              3 - I should have spent my money on tickets to Shrek 3 insted of the CV's

Okay I get it and I'll stick with the VM's. I have nearly all the things I need to fab up the CV's lying around the garage except the boots. But, I'll overcome my fear and delve into the VM's as I trust this forum more than myself in such matters. Thanks for the reality check.
              My remaining question is are carb kits worth a doot? I've seen several on various sites on on ebay. Any brand in particular better than any other

Comment

Your best bet is to take things apart, Soak Them...take a count of all the o-rings...and order them. http://www.cycleorings.com/ Next, clean all your jets and reuse them. If your carbs are stock, a carb kit won't be needed. You may have to pick up a set of float bowl gaskets and get all new lines while you're at it.

Comment

If you haven't found it already, check out http://www.thegsresources.com/files/vm_carb_rebuild.pdf , it may be of some help...

Comment

Like everyone els has said keep the vm carbs. I have a 78 750 and wass very scared to fool witht them. But when i did i really couldn't belive how simple it was. took the carbs off the bike pulled the float bowls and then each jet one at a time. took about an hr. now i didn't mess with the needles but they to didn't look to hard. good luck and keep us posted.

Comment

The CV boots will not fit your head !!!!! simple Your CV's I would guess are 1980 not 79

Comment

Allrighty then, Thanks a million for the advice. I took the carbs apart and promptly lost two of the main jet o-rings when the fan I had running in the garage to manage the old gas fumes blew them out of my hand... live and learn.... The jets all look dirty and clogged so I assume everything is clogged. Tonight I'll use carb cleaner and the air compressor to do one carb at a time. I've even managed to find all the info I need on setting screws, float height, etc in the formum.. .very cool. This is the first multiple carb setup I will have rebuilt so I'll be taking pictures if I don't drop my camera in the carb cleaner. I've done lots of single cylinder two strokes and for some reason I expected these to be super complicated.

Nuther question. Is it worth my while to get the Morgan carb and color tune? I believe strongly in investing in good tools and have read plenty good on the Morgan products.

I'm assuming that once I tear into these I'm going to have to sync them.

Comment

Originally posted by rebelbananna View Post
                          Tonight I'll use carb cleaner and the air compressor to do one carb at a time. I've even managed to find all the info I need on setting screws, float height, etc in the formum.. .very cool. This is the first multiple carb setup I will have rebuilt so I'll be taking pictures if I don't drop my camera in the carb cleaner. I've done lots of single cylinder two strokes and for some reason I expected these to be super complicated.
                          You'll waste more money in carb clean than buying a can of carb dip.
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                          X