Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which first and how often?

Greetings to all of the GS gurus,

I've been reading a lot about Marvel's Mystery Oil and Seafoam additives. For periodic maintenance, which should I use first and what would be the schedule? I read somewhere "every third tank" but that seems a bit much. Or are they necessary only if you are experiencing a problem? Thanks so much for your time.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post

I've been reading a lot about Marvel's Mystery Oil and Seafoam additives. For periodic maintenance, which should I use first and what would be the schedule? I read somewhere "every third tank" but that seems a bit much. Or are they necessary only if you are experiencing a problem? Thanks so much for your time.

BassCliff
    I bought the seafoam spray called DEEP CREEP and sprayed it into the fuel line when it had no gas in it of course and it did wonders for my bike.I wouldnt use the marvel mystery oil in the gas either,just use the sea foam liquid in the bottle.I used about 3 ounces in the gas every fill up for 3 tanks and my bike has ran smooth ever since.I really think the deep creep spray in the fuel line worked best.Just my opinion though.

Comment

On the GoldWing board that I visit often, many of the riders swear by MMO at the ratio of 3 to 4 'glugs' which would be 2 to 3 ounces, I think, about every other tank. I tried it for a while and did not notice any difference, either in my Kawasaki Voyager or my Wing.

If parts are a bit dirty or gummed up, I can see where it might help, but I ride too much for them to get gummed up.

Which first? The concensus on the Wing board is to use MMO first. It that does not work, Techron injector cleaner, if that does not work, SeaFoam. My personal philosophy is to save money and just use the good stuff...SeaFoam. I will add half a can to my bike, the other half in my wife's 850 before we do an all-day ride in the spring. That will clean things out for the rest of the riding season for us, no regular doses are necessary.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post

BassCliff
        Can use non gurus answer?
        if so... in the spring or when i feel so inclined its sea-foam in the tank.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
          Can use non gurus answer?
          if so... in the spring or when i feel so inclined its sea-foam in the tank.
          LOL! :-D

Mr. rustybronco,

*Everybody* on this forum is a GS guru compared to me. I appreciate your opinion and thank all the others who took the time to share their experience. Having just picked up this bike two months ago, I have a lot to learn.

BassCliff

Comment

I mix half a can of it into a tank in the spring and run it through, usually after i finish the tank with the stabil in it. BUT your bike will smoke a little with the seafoam in it, and EVERYONE you ride with will tell you your guides are shot. The bike will stop smoking after the next full tank without seafoam in it.

Comment

Working...
            X