shop still has my 1100g starter clutch bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shop still has my 1100g starter clutch bearing

my brother:-D went over to pick up my bike hit the button and the starter just spun. the shop said its the starter bearing . i wish i was there because he told my brother it would cost like $80 for the bearing+ labor and my brother said fix it. if he trys charging me $80 for it I'm calling the cops there only $14 a piece at bike bandit. when i called to see what was going on he had no idea what the bearing would cost even thou he already ordered it. if the starter gear bearing goes will that cause the starter to just spin( there is no starterclutch bearing)? i bet it just needs a relay [-o< and hes replacing parts that dont need to be replaced. this really pos me. he told me 2 or 3 days to rebuild the carbs (took him 2 weeks and hes charging me $200+tax:shock: ) then said 3 days for bearing (now 1 week ) I'm picking my bike up on Monday fixed or not.
    thanks o and he also told me he had it idling in his shop for 30min befor my brother came to pick it up. is that ok to do to a air cooled engine?
    the bike only has 8400 miles on it[-o<
    aaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr got this bike on the 4th still haven ridden it yet.

so o please god make my 82gs1100g run like the wind again.( these guys r spoiling me on there fixtmachienes i was to go to
    Fabulous Summer Rally - Western NY State
    Last edited by Guest; 05-25-2007, 06:28 AM.

Find another shop, half hour idleing without a fan on the engine is deffinetly not goood. Doesn't sound right about the bearing either.
    V
    Gustov
    80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
    81 GS 1000 G
    79 GS 850 G
    81 GS 850 L
    83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
    80 GS 550 L
    86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
    2002 Honda 919
    2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

100 %agreed maby that why the clutch whent?

Comment

If the starter relay was bad the starter would not turn at all.
        he was just guessing on the price of the starter brg(?) IF thats what it needs.
        200.00 to clean the carbs if they're dissasembled is cheep! unfortunately most around here just drop the bowls and spray the crap out of them, I usually charge around 150.00 + parts on the ones that i do on the bike for four carbs includes sync.

one more thing did he have a fan in front of the engine while it was running? look around his shop for one first, then ask him.
        Last edited by rustybronco; 05-25-2007, 08:34 AM. Reason: added comment
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Sounds like the starter clutch to me. sheared bolts most likley. but its just a guess. Any how, if he fixes it for 80 dollars after rebuilding the carbs for 200 I don't think you are getting ripped off. Its expensive to have other people work on your 20 year old machine. Thats why so many here do there own work.
          Last edited by skip; 05-25-2007, 09:49 AM.

Comment

o he wanted $80 for the bearing +labor. i wish i was home i could have done this all myself in a week and id be riding right now. some 1 on here told my $130 was fair well i guess $23per kit 4 kits thats $92+ 2 hours labor that $54$per hour. a little steap on the labor cost but its been years sence i let some one els work on my stuff. i hope its done today.[-o< saturday im going to pay him a visit to see whats wrong
            thanks for the input

Comment

Two hours labor is very fair to install 4 carb kits

Comment

Working...
              X