killing my new battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

killing my new battery

i have a 1978 gs 1000 i installed a new battery and everything seemed ok until i put my headlight switch on,the bike died and blew a main 15 amp fuse the rectifier was very very hot,i installed a new fuse kept the headlight switch off and the bike runs ok but after 10 minutes the bike won't start if i shut it off because it kills the battery any idea what this could be thanks

Most likley the reg is toast. Time to visit the stator pages

Comment

my bike has a retangular unit with one bolt thru the centre holding it on that was a rectifier i was told, the other finned unit above the starter solonoid is a voltage regulator i was told the rectangular one gets real hot when i switch the headlight on it blows the main 15 amp fuse if i replace the fuse keep the headlight off the bike runs but isn't keeping the battery charged thanks for your help everyone justs says its the rectifier regulator but im stumped as which is which

Comment

It doesnt matter which is faulty. Any replacement you buy is going to be a combined, one piece regulator/rectifier. So, remove both of the old units and trash can them.

E.

Originally posted by zeek93_2000 View Post
        my bike has a retangular unit with one bolt thru the centre holding it on that was a rectifier i was told, the other finned unit above the starter solonoid is a voltage regulator i was told the rectangular one gets real hot when i switch the headlight on it blows the main 15 amp fuse if i replace the fuse keep the headlight off the bike runs but isn't keeping the battery charged thanks for your help everyone justs says its the rectifier regulator but im stumped as which is which
        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
        X