No announcement yet.

I give up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You didn't actually use grease on the cylinder walls did you?

You want the piston to move freely but the rings need to bite into the cylinder wall so they can seat. A light coat of oil is all that should be used.

After the engine is running you should take the bike out and put some load on the engine to seat the rings. Read the attached link for some good information on ring break in. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Good luck.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      You didn't actually use grease on the cylinder walls did you?

You want the piston to move freely but the rings need to bite into the cylinder wall so they can seat. A light coat of oil is all that should be used.

After the engine is running you should take the bike out and put some load on the engine to seat the rings. Read the attached link for some good information on ring break in. http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Good luck.
      greased pig is an old expression.I didnt literally "gease" the cylinders.The oil being puled up from the crankcase is oiling the cylinders.I checked one of the many times I have had the head off.Thanks for the link too.I appreciate it.
      future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

I'm mostly a lurker here, but I've gotta tell you, I'm awfully impressed the the sense of community I see here. As a group, you've kept one of yours from bailing. Good work. Now good luck and keep going 'cause I'm hooked and I gotta know how the story ends. I'm sure there's a happy ending, but I want to know the moral of the story.

Comment

Now come on Ron. Only 9 ways to put it together, your not trying!

Wait till you get the whole lump out of the frame and full split a set of crankcases, there's even more ways of putting it back together.

So what are you waiting for now? New rocker box gasket, plug leads on and petrol into the carbs?

I would suggest that you stick the battery on charge before you do the final bits so its got enough life to spin the motor over. It would be a p*sser to get it together and the battery has gone flat.

Suzuki mad.

Comment

Yeehaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Put the stopcock on prime,put new gas in,sucked on the vaccum line,hit the starter button>once no go.2 no go.3 and VROOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!!!
            Now it only runs if i hold the choke out about 1/2 inch.I dont know what that means,but right now i am so elated it matters little because I know without a doubt i got the engine back together right because the mother f____er revs up to 7 grand easy and sounds good!!! So,now,anyone know why I have to choke it to get it to idle? Carbs and electrical drive me nuts,i aint no good at fixing them.Thanks for the rooting squad,especially thanks to suzuki mad,chef,and nessism.
            future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Originally posted by keelbolts View Post
              I'm mostly a lurker here, but I've gotta tell you, I'm awfully impressed the the sense of community I see here. As a group, you've kept one of yours from bailing. Good work. Now good luck and keep going 'cause I'm hooked and I gotta know how the story ends. I'm sure there's a happy ending, but I want to know the moral of the story.
              The moral is it aint over till its over.And with this crowd it aint ever over.They are like brothers.

Comment

So does this mean we can't buy your bike for 550 anymore?? Just kidding. Great news. I've come close to abandoning many projects, but when you stick it out til the end, the results of your accomplishment make everything worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by relic-rider View Post
                  So does this mean we can't buy your bike for 550 anymore?? Just kidding. Great news. I've come close to abandoning many projects, but when you stick it out til the end, the results of your accomplishment make everything worthwhile.
                  i would take 2500 for it now.It needs paint though.Ha ha.

Comment

See :-D

Your carbs needing Choking to idle properly, might be the Carb to Head Boots leaking/ or stopped up idle jets (only if it has been setting with gas for a long period would I worry about them).

Check them using Carb Cleaner, spraying it around the boots and see if the engine changes RPM's (or WD40 like others do).

GL,
                    Ron

Comment

Ron,

Just wanted you to know that I've been through your frustration, only on a Kawi GPz 750. I fought that motherf***er for 9 months before getting it all sorted. But when I did, oh man the feeling of accomplishment. I was bound and determined many many times to dump it in the Great Salt Lake and let the saltwater corrode it to nothing. I'm so glad you got it figured out. This forum is the greatest community I've ever experienced and though I mostly lurk, storys (or shoud I say sagas?) like yours inspire me to no end. By the time I got to the point where you said it started up and ran I about shed tears of joy for you. Way to go!!!

Comment

been following your saga here. CONGRATS ON GETTING IT GOING!!! you learned alot and developed enough patience not to take a stick of dynamite to it.

Comment

Originally posted by saddlewarmer View Post
                          been following your saga here. CONGRATS ON GETTING IT GOING!!! you learned alot and developed enough patience not to take a stick of dynamite to it.
                          rode it today about 50 miles,kicked it up to 75 passing a car.Oh yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by ron bayless View Post
                            rode it today about 50 miles,kicked it up to 75 passing a car.Oh yeah!
                            A couple more decent rides and the saga will be a distant memory.

Now did I hear you say if was for sale?

Seriously, well done Ron. Enjoy.
                            :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

thanks guys.No it isnt for sale.You know my success was not fixing the bike and being able to ride it.That is nice for sure.My success is I tried my best.I believe in the words of wisdom and almost didnt live by them myself this time.They are "I might try and fail,but i will never fail to try."

Comment

Working...
                              X