Working the bugs out ~

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working the bugs out ~

Ok, so I got a deal on an '85 GS1150, and a previous owner neglected it a bit and I'm working on undoing the neglect. After searching & reading through the tech forum, I'm wanting a comfirmation from you guys that know worlds more than I do.

This is what I *think* is in order, please correct me if I'm wrong

1. Fast, hard wobble on decel in the 50mph range, not noticabla anywhere else = steering bearings

2. Spongy front brake, a fine layer of brake fluid on right rotor = piston seals

3. Rear chain impossible to adjust properly, tight then roll a bit & it's way loose, roll a bit more and it's tight again = strangely stretched chain

4. Stutter/hesitation when coming back on throttle in low revs = carbs need adjustment

Unknown problems:

1. Stalled bike today, refused to attempt to crank. All lights on, neutral light on (shifted in and out of 1st & 2nd to make sure it was in neutral, side stand up. No fire when I hit the starter. Rolled a few feet with switch off, turned switch on, fired right up.

2. Clutch drags when cold, not as noticable once oil temp guage registers

Any insight/help is appreciated. I searched for answers, but may not have used the proper terms or whatnot to get what I needed

Thanks!

JM

Your chain is shot, but you knew that. Probably sprocket time too. The wobble could also be the front tire. Had this with my first 850, brand new, and it lasted until I put a new front tire on it.

The brakes probably have more than one problem. If there's fluid leakage, that's one. If there's air in the lines, that's two. If your fluid is just old, that's a possible reason for the sponginess, but I really doubt that leaking pistons would introduce air into the system.
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
      The brakes probably have more than one problem. If there's fluid leakage, that's one. If there's air in the lines, that's two. If your fluid is just old, that's a possible reason for the sponginess, but I really doubt that leaking pistons would introduce air into the system.
      Spongy wasn't the right word actually, the lever has plenty of resistance and will not pull back to the bar. I did replace fluid & bleed anyway, but there's not the same bite my modern bike has. Maybe that'll make more sense ~

JM

Comment

Your gonna like that 1150 when you get it running right!
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by the_journeyman View Post
          Spongy wasn't the right word actually, the lever has plenty of resistance and will not pull back to the bar. I did replace fluid & bleed anyway, but there's not the same bite my modern bike has. Maybe that'll make more sense ~

JM
          Mr. JM,

Are the brake lines the original rubber or braided? My front brake is a little spongier than I like. I can see the rubber hose flex when I pull. Braided steel lines are on my list. There's a guy in town who will fabricate your lines to length then coat them in any color you want. Coating them in black will leave my bike looking stock. Cool.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

P.S. Oops! I just took another look at your picture. Looks like they're braided. Never mind! 8-[
          Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2007, 09:08 PM. Reason: Removing foot from mouth.

Comment

Thanks for the responses folks.

> More insight into the clutch drag: I'm not sure what oil the previous owner used, but it is much less noticable when warm. Could there be the wrong weight of oil in the crankcase? Also, in the oil sight glass, the oil is at or slightly above the full mark.

> I can also feel the chain loosen & tighten as I ride, gotta get one of those really soon ~

JM

Comment

Originally posted by the_journeyman View Post
              > More insight into the clutch drag: I'm not sure what oil the previous owner used, but it is much less noticable when warm. Could there be the wrong weight of oil in the crankcase? Also, in the oil sight glass, the oil is at or slightly above the full mark.
              JM
              as I see it you have a few options here, change the oil (your choice of brand/weight) "NOT TO START A DEBATE" i use amsoil 20w50 and I do not work for them or sell it!, but i like this oil... shift quality is better, temps are down, no clutch drag (it did when I used quaker state 10w40) fuel miledge is up and lasts the longest so far (3,500miles and still going). but @ 4 qts for $25.00 not cheep!, I'd change it first then wait and see what happens over time, then think about ripping the clutch apart...

and yes it could be the wrong weight oil in it.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thanks for confirming my suspisicion I'll do an oil change and go from there. I would rather not tear a perfectly good clutch apart, not to mention I really don't know how old or what brand the oil in it currently is ~

Thanks!

JM

Comment

You can expect a certain amount of clutch drag on these bikes when cold. It's quite normal. Just make sure your cable is adjusted right and if everything works as expected when warm, then you're just seeing the usual GS cold-clutch-drag. ;-)

Comment

Sounds good, thanks for the input!

JM

Comment

Working...
                    X