Help with a stiff cock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with a stiff cock

I got a '82 GS750E with a petcock that doesn't leak and works good but it's too damn hard to turn by hand and requires additional leverage to turn it. When I first got the bike the petcock was utilized so little (thanks in part to a fuel gauge and sitting) that the thing was frozen good even with 6" pliers. I've dismantled the petcock in effort to make it easy to turn by hand, something that comes in handy when you run out the main supply and didn't bother to bring "petcock" pliers. So question is "Is there some lube or something I should/can use to make the petcock turn nice and easy?"

i find the spray-can lithium grease works great when mine gets stiff. i usually spray it on there and work it a few times back and forth

Comment

Nope, not gonna touch that one!

I have found that the operation of the petcock can be eased considerably by a good cleaning. What I found is that by removing the plate on the front that will allow the turning lever to come out, you can clean some of the corrosion off of there with a green ScotchBrite pad or some steel wool. I also used a brass wire wheel in my Dremel tool to clean out the petcock housing itself. I did not use any lube in there, not sure what might be compatible. I just re-assembled it and have enjoyed the "new" feel.

I first did this to a Kawasaki KZ1300 almost 30 years ago. When the bike was warm, I needed pliers to move the petcock. After cleaning, it had a nice, firm feel, but could be moved with fingertips. \\/

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

oh boy.......................this should be good.

Comment

UHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

KY?:shock:
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Generally it signifies that it's dead, so if it hasn't been more than about 12 hours may I suggest 3-4 quarts of water, celery, onion, carrots, chicken stock and some noodles...
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              I have found that the operation of the petcock can be eased considerably by a good cleaning. What I found is that by removing the plate on the front that will allow the turning lever to come out, you can clean some of the corrosion off of there with a green ScotchBrite pad or some steel wool. I also used a brass wire wheel in my Dremel tool to clean out the petcock housing itself. I did not use any lube in there, not sure what might be compatible. I just re-assembled it and have enjoyed the "new" feel.
              Steve, can you do this while fuel is in the tank?

Comment

The rubber washers in there get dirty. I just clean em off and rub in some armorall. That helps preserve them and also makes them a little slippery.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                  Steve, can you do this while fuel is in the tank?
                  Only if the level is low and you tip the tank so it does not run out the now un-controlled outlet. :shock:

It's not that hard to drain the tank. Makes the job easier and a bit safer. I always have a gas can around for the lawn mower, and it's almost never full, so I just drain into that, then use it to refill the tank when I'm done.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                    Generally it signifies that it's dead, so if it hasn't been more than about 12 hours may I suggest 3-4 quarts of water, celery, onion, carrots, chicken stock and some noodles...

And do not overlook the necessity of plucking it.:-D
                    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

And a little propane torch to singe the hairs off.
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

So I put my stiff cock in a pot of boiling water and chicken stock and jezuz christmas now it may never move again. I don't think any liquid will pass through it ever again, and my o-ring shrunk up beyond belief. Whoever suggested that- thanks for nothing- my cock is now broken.
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I had the same problem

I just had my wife work it a bit. Now it's back to normal. :shock:

Comment

we should amend the 'How To Get Lots Of Responses To Questions'... this forum is great fun sometimes

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                              So I put my stiff cock in a pot of boiling water and chicken stock and jezuz christmas now it may never move again. I don't think any liquid will pass through it ever again, and my o-ring shrunk up beyond belief. Whoever suggested that- thanks for nothing- my cock is now broken.
                              I did the same thing and OWWWWW, that KILLS! I heard somewhere that milk is good for burns so I tried dipping it in a glass of milk. My wife walked in on me and said "I always wondered how you loaded that thing!" :-D

Comment

Working...
                              X