Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regulator/rectifier, stator question

Dear fellow GS'rs,
    I just spent a ton of time and a lot of money semi-restoring my 78 GS750. This is a bike with only 11M original miles on the engine.
    The bike runs great and I have no problems with it's performance. HOWEVER, I recently read an article put out by ELECTEX and my paranoia is beginning to set in.
    Electrex states in their ad that one of the weak points of the GS bikes is their regulator/rectifier & stator stating that due to a flaw in the design of the rectifier/regulator my bike electrical system may decide to fry itself at the most inopportune time when I may be 500 miles from home (like their ad says) and I may find myself with a long walk home and a very expensive electrical repair bill.
    Now I realize Electrex wants to sell regulator/rectifiers so I wonder the following:
    Are they saying that ALL of these units are flawed on ALL GS bikes and it's just a matter of time before your number is up? How many of you GS'rs out there have ridden many years and thousands of miles on GS bikes without one single regulator/rectifier or stator problem.
    I'm wanting to know if Electrex is using scare tactics to some degree here.
    Are ALL of these units flawed on ALL years of GS bikes?
    Did Suzuki discover this design flaw in say the 76 & possibly 77 models and possibly take steps to correct the problem? Was this a problem specific to certain years?
    Electex is making it sound like All of the GS bikes have flawed units and All need to be replaced.
    I appreciate your input on this matter. Don't want to run out and spend another few hundred bucks if not needed.
    Thanks,
    GS750GUY.......Harold

I read that too & posted something similar... the answer I got was if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Make sure you keep oil topped up to keep the stator cool & make sure the RR has a really good earth & off you go.....

The originals lasted for years....

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
      I read that too & posted something similar... the answer I got was if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Make sure you keep oil topped up to keep the stator cool & make sure the RR has a really good earth & off you go.....

The originals lasted for years....

Dan

I would add that the bullet connectors connecting the stator to the RR are often crap. When they start making poor connections that can cause charging problems on its own, and also cause the RR or stator to self destruct.

The standard advice here seems to be to cut them out and solder the connections.

I think thats not needed. Just replace them with spade type disconnects, which make a much better connection.

Martin

Comment

plus also if your rectifier goes out more than likely you will blow your main fuse before you burn up your wiring trust me it happened to me. my fuse blew changed the rectifier and put new fuse in and away i went.

Comment

Ok then don't spend much money.
          This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Regulator/rectifier, stator question THANKS

Thanks for the replies guys!
            I too read somewhere else that if you keep your oil topped off and keep a constant watch on your connections and grounds that the bike should be fine for years.
            Is this the reason some install oil coolers?

Correct me if I'm misinterpreting the Electrex articles; but it also sounds like from what I have read that it helps the charging system run more efficiently and cooler if you run your lights all the time. Running your lights helps to drain off some of the excess electricity going back to the battery reducing the heat build up in the wiring and rectifier.

GS750GUY.......Harold

Comment

i don't know about the discharge of the excess power but i run my lights all the time anyways i feel that it is safer to run with your lights on

Comment

I believe the 78 has separate regulator and rectifier. The problems are with the combination regulator/rectifier units in the 1980 and later models. I could be mistaken on this, but that's what I seem to remember.
                JP
                1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                1992 Concours
                2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                2007 FJR

Comment

Working...
                X