Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bike stopped. Bike diagnosed. Need a 2nd opinion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike stopped. Bike diagnosed. Need a 2nd opinion.

I have a 1980 GS1100L that is having trouble. Always been a hard starter, especially when sitting for a week or more. Been replacing batteries for one reason or another once a year or so for 5 years(mostly from not charging batt over winter storage) . Last replaced 2 months ago.
    A few weeks ago my carbs started purging gas as I left work an hour from home. I pulled em and checked for anything obviously wrong. Everything looked good except the junk in the float chambers and valves. I cleaned em up and reinstalled with an inline filter. It started after some coaxing and no gas spillage. I gave myself large backpats and headed home. She ran fine for about 5-10 miles, and then power loss and dead as I was pulling off the road. Again, no evidence of gas overrunning the carb. Tried restart and failed. Let her sit and tried again, only to hear battery dying. Left her for 20 min. and tried again and got her to start with the choke open full, but since she was still hot, she turned over and shot up to 5000 rpm in a flash, so I killed the choke, and she died. Tried more to start her up but killed battery. Towed her and left at shop for two weeks before they got to her.
    Shop says battery dead, but they got her to start and run fine in the garage, no issues, but won't drive her too far or long, expecting she could conk out anytime and have to tow her. They suggest the stator has gone bad. Does this sound like a good diagnosis? I understand the stator recharges the battery. If it was bad I realize it would not recharge the battery, but would it also cause the bike to cut out after it was already running fine? They quoted 3-400 bucks for a new one and then suggested a salvage yard. Does this sound like the right diagnosis to anyone else? I appreciate any advice anyone can give. I am still new to the ignition system on my bike. No troubles till now.
    Thanks for reading.
    -Manimal

Ok I am not an expert at ignitions my self but, from what you said the bike died but the would turn over. So i know that if your alternator in your car goes the car will run off the battery untill if drains out. If you could turn over the bike (even if it doesnt start) then it didn't shut off b/c of lack of electric.

I would check fuel out of the petcock and a carb cleaning befor spending 3-400 bucks. again i'm not expert.

Oh, and get it out of the shop. good luck
    steve

Comment

This will solve the hard starting.

See the stator papers

What type of fuel filter did you install? It needs to be gravity fed with 5/16'" flow capable.
      Also replace your petcock with this

I have a bit of experience with the 80 GS1100LT.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I just got a cheap filter from Autozone and tossed it in. I could see the fuel moving around when trying to start it, and after giving up, I opened the float chaber and a few tablespoons at least spilled out. So I think it was getting gas. The shop got it to run as well, they just expect it to die at any point, so they advise against driving it home.
        I will rebuild the carbs, replace the petcock and study the stator papers. Until then, however, my bike is 50 miles away in a shop. Do you suggest I find a stator and have them replace it, as they suggest, or tow it home and pick away at it myself?

Comment

Get it towed home. We'll help you fix it.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            Get it towed home. We'll help you fix it.
            very wise, listen closely to chef.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll take it. Gonna wait for my AAA upgrade to take effect and then try and ride her home. If she breaks down again, I can tow her for free. I paid 100 bucks to tow her 10 miles last time. Argh.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                We'll help you fix it.
                Isnt that special.......and true !! :-D
                82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Found a stator. Not sure if it'll fit my bike though. Anyone know if this will also fit a 1980 gs1100L?

Comment

If you have a trailer hitch go to U-Haul. For about $20, one-way, one-day, they'll rent you a trailer designed specifically to haul motorcycles. You'll also need several tie-down straps. Even a Corolla can pull one of these things.
                    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

With a friend following you and a set of jumper cables, you could limp that thing home with no problems. Every 20 to 25 miles, just stop & take a break while the bike battery gets a snack.
                      and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                      __________________________________________________ ______________________
                      2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I've run into this before myself, and I'll bet it's the (automotive) fuel filter you installed. About 4-5 miles was all I'd get with the gas in the bowls (and the minimal amount passing through the filter) before it'd die due to lack of fuel.

Just to see if it's an issue, remove the filter and try riding for more than 5 miles. Don't worry so much about the carbs overflowing, unless really bad. If it doesn't die on you anymore, than you'll have that part solved.

The carbs purging fuel will most likely mean crud stuck in float valve(s) (or bad float, or bad float height adjustment).

It also sounds like you have a weak battery if it's going dead on you that soon.
                        Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                        "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                        1982 GS1100E
                        1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Don't go wille-nille getting that stator and throwing it in just yet.
                          you can do this in the shops parking lot, or when you get home. http://www.thegsresources.com/gs_garage.htm
                          then you'll know if you need it.
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Before you ride anywhere, check the crankcase for gas in the oil, which is possible from the sound of the condition of your carbs. Do you have a GL or L
                            V
                            Gustov
                            80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                            81 GS 1000 G
                            79 GS 850 G
                            81 GS 850 L
                            83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                            80 GS 550 L
                            86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                            2002 Honda 919
                            2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

It's a GS1100L. I changed the oil after cleaning the carbs. I'm convinced the carbs are fine, since they were spilling large and then after I cleaned a lot of gluck out of em and reinstalled there was no gas spillage even at idle for 15 minutes or so. It ran beautifully for 5-10 minutes on the highway at 70 mph and then cut out. I don't think I could have gotten that far with no fuel flow, but I may be wrong, and I could see the gas moving around in the filter when running and trying to start her up. I will think about getting a hitch on my car. That's a good idea.
                              Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll let you know the situation after I get her home.

Comment

Working...
                              X