Engine Painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Painting

I have a 1980 1100EX with 56,000 miles and was thinking of painting the engine. I am trying to customize my bike and rather than trying to polish the engine I have herd that it is not diffcult to spray it with a heat resistant engine paint. I like the look of the black engine with black tank. Can anyone give me some advice on the process and the best types of paint to use.

Greg

Ask Hap Call. He is a proponent of the dark side((engines i mean))

Comment

I am new here what or who is Hap Call?

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Hood
        I am new here what or who is Hap Call?

Greg
        Wel just wait a few hours and either He or a bunch of others will have info for you. It is rare that questions are not answered. and in those cases a bit of brainstorming usually follows. ((BRAINS!!!! 8O ))

Comment

You can wash your engine well with a pressure washer then paint it with an engine enamel in the color you like, the biggest pain in the butt I found when I did it was taping the edges of the fins. On the upper fins of my barrels the edges don't have any paint. So I wanted to keep it looking original. I taped each and every one of the (choose your favorite expletive) things. I am sure someone will tell you an easier way.

Slopoke. I think "brainstorming" is a really strong word. First one needs a group of brains to storm the problem... I think we have a few brains here, but unfortunately way short of a group. :P

Comment

I was told by a bike shop that you do not have to tape off the fins just use some fine sand paper and a wood block and sand them once the paint has finished drying.

Greg

Comment

See, someone always has an easier way. Now, why didn't anyone tell me that before!

Comment

I painted my engine(s) too. It's not difficult. Just make sure to clean the engine thoroughly and degrease it with fuel before you paint it.

Comment

I used PJ-1 engine paint on my 1100E. The cylinders, head, and case are painted satin black and the alternator, points, clutch, and chain covers are all painted gloss black. Here is what it looks like when it is clean:

I painted everything when I had the engine torn apart. I keep a couple of cans of paint around for touch-up.

Hap
                  Scotty, I am your father...come join the dark side!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X