"Jump Starting" my GS850G?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Jump Starting" my GS850G?

I am wrapping up the engine work on my little project bike trying to put her back on the road after a 7 year "rest". The downside is that I don't have the money to purchase a battery quite yet and am wondering if I could just hook up my jumper cables to the battery leads and do it that way. I am a mechanical engineer by trade, but I don't quite know how the electrical systems of these bikes function and don't know if the bike would stay running once the cables are removed (like a car can).

What are your thoughts? I need to change out all the fluids tonight (and change my truck's oil) first, and assuming my intake boots make it it the mail...so it may not happen, but I would love to push the start button soon and see if this old girl will come back to life.

I have done this many times jsut dont do it off a running vehicle

just hook it up to a good offboard 12v battery.

I do it to save my miniscule yb10 batery during cold or damp periods

Comment

As Calvin mentioned, you can use your truck (or car) to jump start the bike AS LONG AS THE TRUCK ENGINE IS NOT RUNNING.

The voltage regulator on the bike is wired so that it will try to regulate ANY voltage, no matter the source. If the voltage being put out by your truck is a bit higher than the set point of the bike's regulator, it will try to regulate it. Since the truck is capable of putting out a LOT more current than the bike is designed to handle, the regulator won't last very long.

By simply connecting the jumper cables to your bike, you are only increasing the current capacity of your battery. I doesn't really increase your cranking speed, it just lets it crank longer.

When the bike is running, DO NOT remove the battery (truck or bike). The bike's regulator needs a voltage reference and a good ground to do its job. You remove either one of them and you will be replacing a regulator when you finally install your new bike battery.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If you have an old battery go ahead and put it back in the bike even if it's not any good. That way you can let the bike run after you get it started. If you use an old battery make sure it has water in it. If it doesn't it can short and take some of the bike's electrical with it.
        Last edited by Guest; 06-22-2007, 09:52 AM.

Comment

That has a huge potential to damage the car's electrical system i'd use a jum pack... BTW a new battery is only ~$30 although you may have to fill it

Comment

Don't you people work during the day?

I have wrecked an alternator trying to jump my Firebird that ended up having a junk battery in it. But, I do not have the old battery and I think that my local Autozone does have a replacement for ~$40. I just didn't want to buy it just yet (payday is next Friday). Thanks for the tip on not while the truck is running. It actually makes a lot of sense since our vehicle's charging systems typically run at ~14 VDC for better charging.

If I get far enough tonight, I'll give it a whirl. If not, I guess y'all will have to wait until next week sometime.

Comment

[quote=pvtschultz;655759]Don't you people work during the day?
              quote]

As a matter of fact, I do.\\/

Comment

I would strongly urge you do not run the bike without a battery. The alternator output is also meant to charge a battery and without one in place you could overheat and fry your alternator.

Comment

Yeah, me too...Should get back to it too...

[quote=chiphead;655770]
                  Originally posted by pvtschultz View Post
                  quote]

Comment

[QUOTE=chiphead;655770]
                    Originally posted by pvtschultz View Post
                    sure do...
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                    X