Motor will not turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motor will not turn

I normally push start this bike (GS1100ESD '83) and now when I pop the clutch the back tire just skids. There's plenty of oil and the bike was working before falling on it's left sidefrom a standing position.

Does anyone have a checklist to verify before emptying the oil and after?

Is there any visible external damage to the motor? If you pull the timing cover off (right side), can you turn the crank over with a socket wrench?

Comment

What gear do you use? First gear will try to turn the engine the most turns for every inch the rear wheel pushes it, making it the hardest. Try second or even third gear for easier push starts.

Take t3rmin's suggestion about using the bolt on the right side of the crank, but go a step further: remove the spark plugs to make it even easier to turn the engine by hand.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        go a step further: remove the spark plugs to make it even easier to turn the engine by hand.

Good suggestion. An engine doesn't just lock up from being on its side -- unless it ran a long time with no oil pressure OR if the engine was not running and a cylinder or two somehow filled with oil. (Can't think of a way this could happen offhand, but you could be experiencing hydraulic lock).
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Good thought Mr. Barr, pull the plugs and check for a hydraulic lock. Gasoline from the carbs, what do you think of that idea?
          Last edited by rustybronco; 06-29-2007, 09:20 PM.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

MAD idea

Originally posted by seb333 View Post
            I normally push start this bike (GS1100ESD '83)

WHY did you not just fix the starter earlier? Do you just like excitement when starting a bike?

Any electric cut offs such as side stand switch faulty, kill button down or something that your doing different?

Suzuki mad.

Comment

hydraulic lock

so I should first pull all the plugs to see if the engine turns when I push start it

Comment

no, pull the plugs, take off the right side cover and then try to turn it over with a wrench... if its locked up then something may be seriously wrong...

Comment

what gear do you usually try to push start it in?

Comment

nothing else to try before I drain the oil? pulling the plugs did nothing. I normally try and start it in 2nd

Comment

Working...
                    X