Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheap alternative to carb sync adapters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheap alternative to carb sync adapters?

Hey guys, I plan on building a homemade manometer to do the much needed tuning and sync to my carbs. Does anyone know if there is a cheap alternative to buying the 5mm adapters (which costs way too much for what they are)? I've found a place online that has them for $1.50 each but for 4 of em and shipping I'd be looking at $20 which seems to be the average total cost I'm seeing online. A dealer wouldn't happen to have these cheaper than $20 for 4 would they?

How about drilling a hole through the center of some soft screws?
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I have vacuum gauges I bought off ebay that came with cracked ones. Im curious as well where to find them cheap. I was just thinkin though what it would take to make some. Be nice if mig welder tip would screw right in there but the threads are probably different.

Comment

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

third post down
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
          Hey guys, I plan on building a homemade manometer to do the much needed tuning and sync to my carbs. Does anyone know if there is a cheap alternative to buying the 5mm adapters (which costs way too much for what they are)? I've found a place online that has them for $1.50 each but for 4 of em and shipping I'd be looking at $20 which seems to be the average total cost I'm seeing online. A dealer wouldn't happen to have these cheaper than $20 for 4 would they?
          So the shipping and handling is $3.50 each? Where did you find them?

Tom
          sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
            nice build, I'm gonna have to check out the hardware store and find some bolts, nipples, and epoxy

Comment

Don't forget to lightly grind the head of the bolts and scuff the nipples before applying the epoxy.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

$20.00 to have those adapters in hand sounds like a lot but when you consider your time AND getting all 4 to have a similar flow, it's pretty darn cheap! I got stuck for some adapters years ago and made 4 from M5 x 40 (0.8mm pitch) hext head 8.8 cap screws. This required CAREFUL centerpunching, jigging and drilling down the center of each (what'd you say your time was worth?). Then the heads were cut off and chamferred and the hole deburred each end. A nut was run up the threads (which are about 16mm long on partially threaded bolts of this length), and a small o-ring rolled up to the bottom of the nut - and that made each adapter.

Remember that the REASON you're making the adapters is to synch more than one carb.....and for this reason EACH adapter, hose and gauge has to cause an equal reading with an equal vacuum applied....to enable timely, predictable adjustment of the carb airflow. A quality gauge set has a means to calibrate each gauge to one, to achieve this purpose and you don't want to be working to make that happen with one or more oddly flowing adapters or hoses etc.

Nothing like tinkering though to cause understanding Best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                  So the shipping and handling is $3.50 each? Where did you find them?

Tom

Yeah the shipping costs more than the 4 adapters

Comment

Thanks, Killer.

Has anyone tried this kind of meter? It is electronic and only compares the readings of two cylinders at a time and shows the difference.

It costs $75.
                    sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by Killer2600 View Post
                      http://www.casporttouring.com/thestore/twinmax.html

Yeah the shipping costs more than the 4 adapters
                      You did not look hard enough. Yeah, the adapters are $6.00 and the first shipping option of UPS Ground is $12.00,
                      but if you look down to the bottom of the list, USPS Priority is only $5.10. 8-[

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

adapters

I made one of those home made manometers. I used some fittings that I had from a MityVac. Just shoved them in - worked fine.
                        I was never really trusting of the sync job, so eventually got a mercury one. Hooked it up and the home made one that cost me about $2.00 pretty much had it right on.
                        The mercury was easier to read as the oil I used took time to settle and bounced around a bit, but the home made ones work just fine

Comment

In my experience, water with food coloring works well with clear tubes.

If using a u tube style manometer, you need about 10-15 feet or ceiling height, which means about 30' of hose per cylinder, unless you have a pit or basement or other way of getting the water reservoir below the bike tires.

I tried to create a vacuum tight chamber, so it would pull against a small air pocket, but due to my half a$$ed approach had trouble getting it to seal. I might try it again with better results.
                          Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

Originally posted by spchips View Post
                            If using a u tube style manometer, you need about 10-15 feet or ceiling height, which means about 30' of hose per cylinder, unless you have a pit or basement or other way of getting the water reservoir below the bike tires.
                            Where I read about it, the author had used cheap wood yard sticks, and found those to be long enough. He recommended transmission fluid as being inexpensive, low viscosity, easy to see, and not a terrible problem if it got sucked into the engine. How much vacuum do these things pull? One atmosphere is about 30 feet of water, so are you saying that these things pull more than 5 psi vacuum?

30' of hose per cylinder is making buying gauges sound pretty reasonable.

Tom
                            sigpic[Tom]

Comment

Originally posted by themess View Post
                              Where I read about it, the author had used cheap wood yard sticks, and found those to be long enough. He recommended transmission fluid as being inexpensive, low viscosity, easy to see, and not a terrible problem if it got sucked into the engine. How much vacuum do these things pull? One atmosphere is about 30 feet of water, so are you saying that these things pull more than 5 psi vacuum?

30' of hose per cylinder is making buying gauges sound pretty reasonable.

Tom

Sometime this fall or winter, I'm probably going to try and browbeat some of the Indy-area riders into chipping in on a Morgan Carbtune. I played with one yesterday, and me likey.

In the meantime, you're welcome to use my mercury sticks if you can make it 45 minutes down the road!
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
                              X