Okay you shafties, final drive oil seal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay you shafties, final drive oil seal question

1979 GS850g. I took off the rear wheel to replace the tire and noticed the oil seal on the driven gear is torn and some tranny oil is finding it's way out (not a whole lot but a leak nonetheless). I've got a good used seal out of another drive and want to swap it out. Is this thing just pressed in from the outside? The oil seal I'm referring to is on the drive, around the splines and mates to the inside hub on the wheel. It's rather large. I just want to get the proper method of removing it before I start prying.

Looking in my manual, it appears that the seal is a press-fit. There is a circlip behind it that hold in the spring-loaded drive coupling.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think it comes out from the outside but do yourself a favor and get a new one. Please don't use a used one. You're just asking for trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by chiphead View Post
        I think it comes out from the outside but do yourself a favor and get a new one. Please don't use a used one. You're just asking for trouble.
        Have to go with Chiphead on this one...Never reuse an old seal, unless you're in the middle of nowhere and have no other choice. OR, you just like to rewrench.

Comment

Got a new one on order.

Comment

I've got a GS650G (shaft drive)

just wondering what method you used to remove the back wheel... as I've not done it before?..

Comment

In a nutshell, pull the mufflers if they block access to the axle, remove the brake caliper stay, remove the axle, watching careful where all the spacers go. Assembly is, of course just the reverse order. :-D

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ok.. so its a failry easy process?... nothing to watch for on the removal of the wheel?... im a bit worried about the acutal drive shaft etc

Comment

Yes, removing/replacing the rear wheel on a shaftie is much easier than on a chain bike. There's nothing to adjust afterwards -- just bolt it back together.

Whenever the rear wheel is out, you do need to grease the drive splines with 60% moly paste. The easiest place to find it is at a Honda shop:

This stuff is not good for much else, but it's The Right Stuff for drive splines.

Moly grease from an auto store will not work -- it's only 3% moly.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    In a nutshell, pull the mufflers if they block access to the axle, remove the brake caliper stay, remove the axle, watching careful where all the spacers go. Assembly is, of course just the reverse order. :-D

I prefer to remove one end of the shocks, which will allow the swingarm to drop enough so the axle clears the mufflers. Suzuki could have placed the mufflers just a few mm higher, but noooooooo...
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by bonky View Post
                      I've got a GS650G (shaft drive)

just wondering what method you used to remove the back wheel... as I've not done it before?..
                      remove the nuts at the top of the shocks and disconnect them (the top of the shocks) , the final drive unit will be low enough to be able to remove the axle shaft w/o needing to remove the mufflers.
                      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

but if they put the mufflers a few mms higher they couldnt charge to remove them.

Comment

Charge?, who pays to have their's worked on?
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            I prefer to remove one end of the shocks, which will allow the swingarm to drop enough so the axle clears the mufflers...
                            Ditto.

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                            Charge?, who pays to have their's worked on?
                            Me. I pay myself in beer!

Comment

Working...
                            X