Headlight woes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight woes

Just bought a "82 GS850GL two days ago every thing worked fine. Blew the headlight fuse and lost the headlight and turn signals. Replaced the fuse (the one marked headlight). I now have the turn working but the headlight still doesn't work, I have replaced the bulb with a known working one. the switch seems to be working right and I have continuity between the switch contacts and the bulb socket and the ground.

Ed Z.

Originally posted by e.z.nightrider View Post
    Just bought a "82 GS850GL two days ago every thing worked fine. Blew the headlight fuse and lost the headlight and turn signals. Replaced the fuse (the one marked headlight). I now have the turn working but the headlight still doesn't work, I have replaced the bulb with a known working one. the switch seems to be working right and I have continuity between the switch contacts and the bulb socket and the ground.

Ed Z.
    Welcome.
    Do you have voltage at both the low and high circuits at the headlight? and did you get the owners manual when you got it? it has a wiring diagram in the back of it, just so you know fuses don't usually blow for no reason.
    a wiring diagram is the place to start, let us know if you have any questions the gsr is open 24-7.

p.s. the official welcomeing committee Mr. "Basscliff" will be along shortly.
    Last edited by rustybronco; 07-13-2007, 08:07 AM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Have you hand the tank off?

If so check the left hand switch electrical line. You may have moved or losen the block connector which works the system when moving the tank. (Done that got the T shirt plus 3 new bulbs!)

Suzuki mad.

Comment

Headlight Woes

Sorry for the late reply, I'm taking he MSF course this weekend with my daughter. No i have not had the tank off but will check the connection. Yes i have a Clymers for the bike and the wiring diagrams. Do I have power to the bulb? My guess is no. Do I have power to the switch? I don't know, I'll check both after class tonight. Thanks so far.

Ed Z.

Comment

Headlight Woes

Must have power at the switch because I have power at the bulb socket (13.1 volts at idle) that switches leads when I change from high to low beam. I cleaned the socket and the pressure needed to put it on and take it off seem correct also.

Ed Z.

Comment

Problem solved, turned out to be a bad ground. Good enough to show volts but not good enough to let enough amps through.

Ed Z.

Comment

Working...
            X