Rear wheel installation - Any Tips??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear wheel installation - Any Tips??

I successfully took the rear wheel of the bike. The tire will be replaced today :-D. The only trouble I had was getting that dayum rear axle bolt off. That thing was a beast! Could be the fact that I was using the OEM wrench that came with the bike. That thing is NOT practical. I also had to remove my rear rack and sissybar to get the shocks off...I must say the bike looks pretty hardcore without the back rest. anyway...

I will be putting on the rear wheel tonight after work. Any suggestions for this? I've read to grease the splines on my shafty? What else should be greased? Should I be looking at my brakes? Finally, in the manual is says to use a certain amount of torques for specific bolts. How do really measure that without a guage?

thanks!!

Clean the rear axle with a wire wheel or fine sand paper. Lightly coat it will a light grease so it won't seize up after you put it back together. Use anti seize on any bolts and nuts you've taken off when putting it back together.
    Check your brake pads.
    Check wheel bearings for side to side play.
    You can't measure torque without a torque wrench. Use common sense and tighten the bigger stuff more than than smaller stuff:?.
    Don't force anything except maybe using a hammer to tap the axle through into place.
    Don't use the OEM tools. They suck and you're more likely to break something or skin the crap out of your knuckles.

Comment

thanks for the good suggestions! I can hardly wait to put this wheel back on. My new tire seems kinda greasy though. I will take it easy the first 100 miles or so.

thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by maro View Post
        My new tire seems kinda greasy though. I will take it easy the first 100 miles or so.

thanks again
        Clean it before installing it and riding. search the posts for info. I use brake clean on a rag don't get it on clear coated aluminum.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

good luck! i fought my 750 but i won! itll take a while but you can get it done.....

Comment

Working...
          X