what to do? GS1150EF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what to do? GS1150EF

I picked this 84 gs1150ef up last week because I part out old bikes as a sideline.
    The owner stated he was riding it, and it just stalled. It would not start with the starter, but would if he pushed it and popped the clutch.....but it would not keep running. I don't think the problem is a big issue.

Anyway, my intentions were to just rip it apart and stick it on ebay. I am confident it will double my money. But then I realized it is not in bad shape at all, and could easily be brought back to life. I just HAD no interest at all in doing this myself. I am also not completely sure what the value of these bikes are or how rare they are. I would feel kinda bad about killing a "rare" bike before it's time.

so as it stands, my gut tells me to just part it out.....which I am likely to do. I am not a mechanic, although I used to be an automotive mechanic years ago. My forte is bodywork and painting.....so bringing this bike to "new" condition is easily possible for me. as for the mechanics.....I would not even know where to start on a bike. my gut says it might be something simple like a combination of a plugged fuel filter and a battery too weak to fire it up. I will check into this. HOWEVER, if anyone has an idea of what else it could be, I would appreciate any input. I am straddled the line between the scrap pile and the paint room. it can go either way.

it was not easy to understand the guy because he is french....and I am not, but from what I understood, it just stalled while he was riding it. then it would not start. then it started after popping the clutch, but would not keep running. like I said.....in my head I see a clogged filter and starving for gas. he weakens the battery by trying to start it with empty bowls so that it just won't start like that....then eventually enough gas reaches the bowls so he can jump start it, but they soon empty out and it stalls. make sense? does to me...and it might be just that simple. however, with all the infinite knowledge on this forum, maybe someone has been here before and can enlighten me as to what else I can look into while I am at it. something electronic maybe? I am confident the motor itself is just fine. it has 30k miles on it.

Shot with Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL at 2007-07-13

Shot with Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL at 2007-07-13

From your description it sounds like fuel, either 'pet cock' or carbs.

Do you know how old the fuel is? Have a look in the tank and see if you can see any rust in there. The carbs may well be gummed up so not allowing fuel through. Carbs strip out and clean.

It could be the CDI/ignitor unit if your looking electrical.

Its a real pity I'm in the Uk as i'd snap you hand off to have it in my collection. Oh well......

Suzuki mad.

Comment

Mojoe,

Do not part out that bike...try to sell it here to a GS enthusiast who will take care of her!!!!!
      Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that! :)

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
        Mojoe,

Do not part out that bike...try to sell it here to a GS enthusiast who will take care of her!!!!!
        I really hate to....I mean that. I have put that idea on hold until I see how easy it is to get running. I paid more for this bike than I usually do for a parts bike. I gave $600 for it knowing it would bring me at least $14-1500 parted out.....but I doubt anyone on here will give me that much for this bike....or maybe they would. I really don't know for sure.

I'll get it running first, then go from there.

Comment

The folks on GS Resources are way cheap as a rule , but you should have NO trouble getting $1500 USD for that bike as long as it runs. It would be a real shame to break it up seeing as how complete it is right now.

Good luck.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I would bet the starter clutch is bad if he had to push start it. !!!

Comment

May you be haunted a thousand years, if you part it out
              Too far for me also...
              Last edited by rustybronco; 07-13-2007, 10:06 PM.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Considering the overall appearance/condition and the high probability the problem is nothing more than petcock/carbs or at worst ignition, the bike is worth $1500 usd as it sits. If I was within a reasonable distance, I would be on your doorstep with the 15 C notes in a heartbeat. Everything working and running well, its worth a minimum of $2500 usd any day of the week.

Earl
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  May you be haunted a thousand years, if you part it out
                  Too far for me also...
                  well now that I have been cursed.....or will be if I part it out....then I guess I won't be parting it out. I was sitting on it today, and it actually feels pretty nice. I find the reach to the bars and the position of my legs to be quite comfortable. I think I might actually enjoy riding this bike.

question: was the EF available in the US? I searched a couple of OEM fiches, and saw no listing for an EF. I saw an EFE and an EF2. is it the same bike with a different designation? also, how does that engine compare in hp and torque with the 83 katana? Is the 1150 tuned down? I just came back from a spin on the kat. man....power up the wazoo. darn....now that you told me what it is worth running, I just wanna get it going and take it for a spin. :-D

Comment

I found my 85 1150EF to have one of the most comfortable riding positions of any bike I have been on in nearly 40 years. It is COMFORTABLE, even after sitting in the saddle, keeping the wheels turning for 22 hours straight. :-)

Powerwise, It makes the big Kat feel downright lethargic. hehehehe

Earl

Originally posted by Mojoe View Post
                    well now that I have been cursed.....or will be if I part it out....then I guess I won't be parting it out. I was sitting on it today, and it actually feels pretty nice. I find the reach to the bars and the position of my legs to be quite comfortable. I think I might actually enjoy riding this bike.

question: was the EF available in the US? I searched a couple of OEM fiches, and saw no listing for an EF. I saw an EFE and an EF2. is it the same bike with a different designation? also, how does that engine compare in hp and torque with the 83 katana? Is the 1150 tuned down? I just came back from a spin on the kat. man....power up the wazoo. darn....now that you told me what it is worth running, I just wanna get it going and take it for a spin. :-D
                    Last edited by earlfor; 07-14-2007, 01:47 AM.
                    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                      I would bet the starter clutch is bad if he had to push start it. !!!

I would guess the same, when mine went it killed the bike while it idled at the curb.

Comment

Had you been closer, I would have told you I needed it for parts (all of them).
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                        X