Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help for a new couple?? Sorry kinda long

8-[Hello all,
    My wife and I are new to biking. We wanted a starter bike so we picked up an 81 GS550. I don't know how long it's been sitting but it does have service records from new. It shows 24K miles. We're both very mechanically inclined but we've never had a bike. We bought this one not running cheap. The PO only had it for about three weeks and decided to sell it since he couldn't get it running. We brought it home and with our knowledge of cars we had it starting by the end of the day. The bike wouldn't idle on it's own and was leaking fuel from the carbs. The petcock was also frozen in the run position but had no fuel flowing through. We removed the carbs and found that two of the floats were stuck and not shutting off the fuel flow. We also took the petcock off and cleaned all the goop out. We tested it with a vacuum source and now it seems to function properly. We then took out the needles and cleaned the seats to get the floats to function properly. We didn't go any deeper because we didn't have the carb kits available. The problem is that now the bike won't start on it's own. If I blow into the vent tubes the bike starts but will only run for a few seconds. If I keep air flowing into the vent tubes it continues to run. By the way, I learned that little trick right here on this site! I know from reading here that the carbs need a good cleaning. My question is why does the bike run with air flowing into the vent tubes?? And what else should I be looking for other than a carb cleaning?? Sorry for the long post but we really want to ride soon. Thanks everybody.

My guess is that by blowing into the vent tubes, you are slightly pressurizing the fuel to get some of it to flow through the dirty carbs. Your lips might get tired after a while though

Comment

I'd say your trouble is in that petcock. You're not flowing any gas.

Buy a new one. Rebuild kits rarely work. Order one at your local dealer.

Comment

Forget about the carb kits. WHat you need is a complete set of carb O rings & to check out the carb cleaning article in the garage section. Petcock is best to replace with a new one

http://www.cycleorings.com

And Welcome to the forum
        Last edited by Guest; 07-18-2007, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Carb cleanup series
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for all the quick responses. Seems like dirty carbs may be the biggest issue..so we'll pull them off and give them a good cleaning. And I'll post again after we're done. I'm gonna wait a few days for my carb kits to arrive since we've already ordered them. Thanks again and I'm sure we'll have more questions.

Comment

Originally posted by donkris View Post
              My question is why does the bike run with air flowing into the vent tubes??
              also it pressurizes the fuel in the bowls, if it can't get fuel through the idle circuit it will force it past needles and mains with a little help from you.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

You and your wife will learn alot about yesterday's technology.

You will invest alot of money and even more time. You will end up wanting a bigger bike.

Welcome to the land of money up a rope. Oh. Your wife will want her own bike soon.

Welcome to neverland, Peter.

Comment

Hey Twistedwankel,
                  You're right on the money about "money up a rope", but we do it just for fun. We also waste money on old Mercedes cars as well as old Mustangs. We just enjoy taking "old stuff" and bring it back to life. It's a hobby that we enjoy together. The bike is just something different for us to try. We already planning on getting a bigger bike, but neither of us has any riding experience riding so we figured we'd start with this one. The goal is to work up to a real cruiser in a couple of years. Believe me, I hear what you're saying. She's already claiming this one as hers once it gets fixed :-D. But please continue to at least try to keep me sane. You seem to speak from experience, which is exactly what I need. I'm always willing to listen and learn.

Comment

Forget about that german stuff, bring on the mustangs!

Comment

Give her the bike. Every woman needs her own.

Comment

Money is never wasted on old Mustangs, unless they were made from '72-84 or don't have a V8 (although the newer V6's are pretty stout).

Welcome to the insane world of GS motorcycles.

Comment

I had the same problem with partners bike this week.
                          not saying the same thing is wrong But thy this.
                          remove the air filters and crankcase breather then try running the bike,
                          if it runs refit the air filter and breather and drain oil and refill with new.
                          cost nothing to try and if it solves it only cost a oil change that never hurts. good luck

Comment

Originally posted by donkris View Post
                            Hey Twistedwankel,
                            , but neither of us has any riding experience riding so we figured we'd start with this one. The goal is to work up to a real cruiser in a couple of years.
                            Hopefully you'll both sign up for the MC training course in your area. Normally they give you a bike/helmet classroom and about 16 hours of seat time + your driving test all for a small amount of money. I think I paid $150 a few years back. Back when I started riding in OH they actually had a separate license which I let lapse after they combined the points.

I was amazed just how much I didn't know about riding after not having a bike for 30 years to raise a family with both legs/arms and brain[-o<

Anyhow I was really glad I did that program and met some nice mature people in the process. After learning the correct way of riding I decided that I never should have survived my early years being self taught and thinking a bike only had one speed - full on.

I learned in my mid 40's that the way to end up with $1 million dollars racing cars is to start out with $5 million. But the memories are fantastic.

I hope you and the misses have a great adventure together:-D

Don't forget about boats - the hole in the water into which you throw money\\/

Comment

Thanks for all the replies and support. I,ve got the bike torn down right now so I can't try thr trick of running it without the air filter. I know the carbs are dirty so it's apart for cleaning. I'm going to replace all the o-rings while it's apart. We'll be using the carb cleaning series that you guys pointed out. Hopefully we'll get the o-ring kit sometime next week.

As far as my other toys, we just sold the latest Mustang, a 67 Coupe, 302 4-speed. The one before that was a 68 convertable, 351 with a C-6 automatic. Those were the wife's projects, she's the Mustang nut in the family. I like 'em too, but she's a fanatic! We'll get another one some day. Both of those we picked up for under 3k each and they both sold for more than 12k each. Probally put about 5k into each one. Not too bad for a couple of hobby toys. We do all of the work ourselves except for paint. I guess it keeps us out of trouble. It's nice having a wife that loves to turn wrenches!!

I'l keep you guys posted on our progress with the bike, and thanks again for all the inputs. You guys rock!!:-D

Comment

Working...
                              X