Open carb vents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open carb vents?

Ok so I went to pods and 4/1 exhasust + rejet on a 78 GS1000 (stock carbs). Im happy with how its running. I read somewhere that when you do these mods that you should remove your carb vent hoses for some reason. Question is should I cover those vent nipples with somthing so foreign debri or water dont find there way into my carbs? Seems like covering them defeats the purpose of having a hose attacthed to them. Can some one enlighten me?

Mine are left open... I've had no problems. I have, however wondered if I could put a little foam cover over them, but haven't tried it yet. I don't know if that slight bit of restriction would matter.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

A good question, I just purchased a Stage 1 & 3 Dynojet kit for my GS1000GT. The instructions say to remove the vent hoses, though no further reasoning is given. My conclusion being that the larger jets allow the float bowl to be emptied quicker requiring faster equalization of pressures. Not entirely sure though as the vent hoses are equal or greater in I.D. than the vent itself. I plan on doing a few air/fuel dyno runs before and after each stage, and maybe I will experiment w/ hoses on/off to see if there is a discernible difference. As far as filtering the vents you could try a short (.75"-1.5") piece of vent tube keeping the hose strait as any bend increases the restriction greatly. Place a patch of pantyhose over the end use shrink tubing to hold it on. Also do not shrink it with flame or you will melt the pantyhose use a soldering iron instead. Any thing getting through this should be to small to clog the port.

Comment

Originally posted by Jd Powell View Post
        My conclusion being that the larger jets allow the float bowl to be emptied quicker requiring faster equalization of pressures.
        That's exactly right. The carbs will starve if you leave the hoses on.
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Hmmmmm....

If there is a restriction with a hose in place than I would imagine that a panty hose cover would cuase a similar restriction. Well I guess Ill leave them open for now and if any junk gets in there Ill just have to clean them. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Yes, the ports must breath. I've never had a problem with anything entering the open ports. I've tested and you will get varying degrees of fuel starvation if you run pods or significantly modify the air box and don't remove the vent lines. I personally wouldn't try to run short lines, etc, just remove the lines and leave the ports open.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
            X