No announcement yet.

Electrical wiseguys needed for GS1100GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let's see if I can make it a bit plainer.

Bikes produced long before your 1982 model had a switchable headlight. That headlight switch had TWO sets of contacts. One set passed current from the third leg of the stator to the r/r, the other set passed current from the headlight fuse to the dimmer switch. In other words, one set handled the AC voltage from the stator, the other handled the DC voltage the bike actually runs on.
    They never mixed or got superimposed on each other. :shock:

YOUR bike probably does not even have a switch on the left hand grip. Most of them got used up in 1981. However, the wiring in the harness still goes up to a connector under the fuel tank where it used to go to the headlight switch, then back down to the r/r. Since there is no headlight switch, there is just a loop of wire that sends the current back down the correct wire to the r/r. If you look at the link above that 8trackmind gave you, you can see that little loop. Look about the middle of what should be the top of the diagram, there is a label that says "Handlebar switch (R)". Under that are three squared-off loops. The innermost one is the one for the stator wire.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by walt View Post
      I will try to scan a page from the factory manual showing the wiring dia.
      Diagram courtesy of Walt. :-D

Comment

Thanks Jeff. That is a dia. for an '82 GS1100E

Comment

Shindengen SH232-12V replacement ???

Hi,

I have a spare parts GS that - apparently - has a Shindengen SH232-12v regulator/rectifier.

This unit has 6 wires: 3 input and 3 output

3 input from alternator (I now understand that already)

3 output: green (grounding)
          red (charging the battery)
          purple (or black, couldn't see) going to fuse box

can someone please tell me the story of this RR ? what is the wire going to the fuse box ? what does it do ? anyone with experience with this unit ?
          would it be wise to use this as a replacement for my blown RR ?

Comment

Originally posted by gert du prez View Post
            Hi,

purple (or black, couldn't see) going to fuse box
            black goes to a +12v source that is always on with the key on (hooked mine to the tail light wiring).

do a search for a sh232-12 on this board, lots of info.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Shindengen SH232-12V replacement ???

Thanks !

indeed a 5 minute search on the topic here on the forum gave me the correct answers.
              Seemed that my questions already were answered before I even knew the difference between a moutain bike and my GS...

Greetz from Belgium,

Gert

Comment

the wire to the fuse box is likely to the main fuse, a 15 or 20amp depending on the model. that is usually the power wire to the ign. switch

Comment

Thanks !
                  Greetz from Belgium,

Gert
                  And the same from u.s.a.
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

well well well, this actually worked !

Back again,

had the faulty RR replaced by the Shindengen, and what the hell...

13.8V at 1100 rpm and a remarkably steady 14.65V at 3500 rpm...

the bolts fitted right onto the battery box, the wires fitted easily
                    (to the battery, ground and hot wire from the tail light)...

The only thing I just can't seem to find out, is how much money you guys saved me...

thanks !

G

Comment

Who can explain me in short (or in long, if you can live with that) some guidelines for understanding my wiring diagram ? I
                      want to know what happens, but it is hard to tackle a wiring diagram if you have no wizzkid sitting next to you to answer your questions ...
                      You're probably a lot more comfortable reading wiring diagrams than you were when you posted, but I've got some thoughts.
                      1. Keep in mind that electricity needs a circuit. A wire won't do any good until it completes a round trip from the source back to the ground.
                      2. As you follow the path of a given wire, try giving it a name; for instance, "lighting bus" or "starter."
                      3. As you puzzle out part of the flow, mark it down on the diagram. If it isn't in color, use highlighters to keep track.
                      4. Try to predict which wires will have potential and which not, then check with a VOM. Likewise, predict when you'll find potential, and test to verify your understanding.
                      Mark Fisher
                      sigpic
                      ..............................27 years

Comment

thanks for the tip

thanks for the tips.

I fully understand that, even if this was pulled off successfully, there is more to it than meets the eye...

I will take into account all those usefull hints and start playing around a bit more with the measuring of circuits.

greetz

gert

Comment

Working...
                        X