Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Starter button or Larger Electrical Issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter button or Larger Electrical Issue?

After a long ride, the bike sat and cooled off while I ate some lunch. After about an hour, I went to start the bike and NOTHING. The lights/signals/horn, etc. all worked.

Strange.

The bike is new to me-- so I called the previous owner and he said he's experienced the same thing a few times. The bike had electrical problems in June '07 (at 25,880) and from the receipts the owner sent, the following work was performed:

1 Gasket - Magneto
    1 Stator, (GS1000 78-82)
    1 Voltage regulator
    4 Spark plug
    1 Yuasa battery

Bike now has 27,000 miles.

The previous owner believes it's the actual switch assembly. He sent along a replacement, although I have not installed it yet.

However, I'm not convinced. Here's why-- After trying for 10 minutes (jiggling wires, praying to motorcycle godz), nothing was happening. So, from the top of my short driveway (it has a slight incline) I sat on the bike and rolled it in neutral down the driveway and hit the start button. Va-VOOM-- it started right up.

So, question is-- why did the rolling start (about 2MPH) help? Must something be spinning to overcome whatever issue there is? Would the movement assist the start button in any way? ALSO-- when the bike is warm, it start without any problems. Hmmmm...

Your insights would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks,
    Mark...

Your starter interlock switch is suspect?

Mine requires I pull back and up on the clutch lever otherwise the machine will not turn over.

This is asusming yours is fitted with the switch.

If it is check it and its wiring.

Comment

Originally posted by coomar View Post

jiggling wires

Which wires ? Check the connections on the starter relay and fuse box as well as the clutch....and then every other connector on the Bike. :-D Good Luck
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by Calvin Blackmore View Post
        Mine requires I pull back and up on the clutch lever otherwise the machine will not turn over.
        Nice! just like the anti theft switch (clutch safety switch) on mine.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
        X