stand light stays lit, must push start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stand light stays lit, must push start

I have a 83 gs100gl One day I stoped for a smoke when i turned the key back on my stand light stayed lite[with the stand up] . I unpluged the switch but the stand light stayed lite seams to only go out with the oil light after starting?
    Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2007, 10:46 AM. Reason: bike info

You didn't say what bike, but on mine the engine must be running for it to go out.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

The light will stay on as it is an open circuit. If you run a jumper between the contacts on the light side of the harness, it will go out. The plunger switch closes the circuit when the stand is in the up position.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
        The light will stay on as it is an open circuit. If you run a jumper between the contacts on the light side of the harness, it will go out. The plunger switch closes the circuit when the stand is in the up position.
        Not sure what to think of my (wife's) bike, then. It had no side stand switch on it when we bought it. The light comes on when the key is first turned on, then goes off when the oil light goes off. I got a switch on eBay and installed it. It seems to work backwards. :shock: It turns the light ON when the stand is up and OFF when the stand is down. What's up with that?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

[quote=Steve;672932]Not sure what to think of my (wife's) bike, then. It had no side stand switch on it when we bought it. The light comes on when the key is first turned on, then goes off when the oil light goes off. I got a switch on eBay and installed it. It seems to work backwards. :shock: It turns the light ON when the stand is up and OFF when the stand is down. What's up with that? .

Wrong Switch... When the contacts are open, the light should be on. My switch broke last fall so I just bent the tabs on the connector so that they touch and then the light goes out after the bike starts. :?

Comment

[QUOTE=Dave8338;672962]
            Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Not sure what to think of my (wife's) bike, then. It had no side stand switch on it when we bought it. The light comes on when the key is first turned on, then goes off when the oil light goes off. I got a switch on eBay and installed it. It seems to work backwards. :shock: It turns the light ON when the stand is up and OFF when the stand is down. What's up with that? .

Wrong Switch... When the contacts are open, the light should be on. My switch broke last fall so I just bent the tabs on the connector so that they touch and then the light goes out after the bike starts. :?
            Hey, that's cheating!!!

Comment

[quote=tconroy;672991]

Hey, that's cheating!!!
              Hey Tim...yeah, cheating maybe, but I've yet to find one to replace it with. I'll keep looking, I hate to jerry rig on a low mileage ride, IT JUST AIN'T RIGHT!!!! 8-[

Comment

[QUOTE=Dave8338;672993]
                Originally posted by tconroy View Post

Hey Tim...yeah, cheating maybe, but I've yet to find one to replace it with. I'll keep looking, I hate to jerry rig on a low mileage ride, IT JUST AIN'T RIGHT!!!! 8-[
                Tell me what kind of a bike you have ( I forgot) and I will ask around down here.I have a place called action cycles that is an excellent boneyard.I bet I can find one for ya! You dont think a rear brake light switch could be used in some way?
                Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2007, 07:07 PM.

Comment

[quote=tconroy;673003]
                  Tell me what kind of a bike you have ( I forgot) and I will ask around down here.I have a place called action cycles that is an excellent boneyard.I bet I can find one for ya!
                  Take a look in your garrage...IDENTICAL save for the Windjammer! Hey, now I now where I can get one...when are you going to be out of town? :-D

Comment

[QUOTE=Dave8338;673006]

Take a look in your garrage...IDENTICAL save for the Windjammer! Hey, now I now where I can get one...when are you going to be out of town? :-D
                    If Im out of town my bike goes with me!!! We just got back from Nebraska ride.Checkout my pics on the link below.There were 12 gs's there. Had a great time 350miles round trip in 1 day. I will look around for you but mine looks just like my brake light switch .

Comment

Dave I found one!!!!! It' at www.alphasports.com and it's in the wireing diagram section. #22 is the stand switch You have to call them to order it.
                      Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2007, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Dave I found one!!!!! It' at www.alphasports.com and it's in the wireing diagram section. #22 is the stand switch You have to call them to order it.
                        Done deal...thanks buddy!! By the way, your 650 has never looked so good. You've must have spent a few hours with the polish, NICE...very NICE!!! \\/

Comment

Done deal...thanks buddy!! By the way, your 650 has never looked so good. You've must have spent a few hours with the polish, NICE...very NICE!!! \\/
                          Yeah.I always keep it clean! A couple of hours a week is all it takes! Im entering it in a bike show August 4th.So I will be cleaning on it for 3 days prior to the event. All the gs'rs this weekend said it'sdefinitely BOM material.I have sent pics 2 times but it has not been picked yet.Maybe I need to take some better pics! If you go to the forum under gs meeting places you will find the Missouri valley/Nebraska lunch topic and on page #10 or 11 there are more pics from the other guys of the trip.There is even a short video taken from the guy behind me, of me, as were doing 70 down the highway in Nebraska.By the way, how much was the switch?
                          Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2007, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X