Valve cover gasket??? HELP!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve cover gasket??? HELP!!!

Hello all and welcome to another episode of the 82 GS1100E drama...

Ok, here is what i know, i need a new valve cover seal, simple enough, But there is a piece coming off the front of the motor about three inches below the valve cover centered between the two center header pipes(stock exhaust) i can see an oil leak there but don't know what it is or how to fix it. Does any one know what this piece is? And secondly advice on fixing?

Thanks you all for any help or suggestions.

Dou mean in the front of the motor INSIDE the engine? If so, and it looks to be made of hard plastic it is the front cam chain guide.If you see an oil leak on the front of the motor at that location is is most likely coming from the rectangular rubber oil seal in that area.Problem is if so it is under the head gasket,which means disassembling th top end of the motor.Some one here much more expert than me might have different ideas.
    future owner of some year and displacement GS bike,as yet unclaimed and unowned.

Comment

Sounds like either a head gasket leak, or a little futher down, the oil filter cover is leaking.

Hap

Comment

Are you talking about the part of the head labelled '1' in the pic? I've solved weeps from the head in my 850 just by nipping up this bolt, and the bolts at '2', after re-torquing the head nuts, of course.

Comment

OK, it is the head gasket!!! ****!!! Is there any easy way to fix this? If not the bike is going up for sale...

Thank you for your help and ideas, i love this bike but the nickel and dime of a classic is starting to get to me...

Comment

Surprise !! I have the same leak. Can you say High temp RTV...
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

If you've re-torqued the head nuts and bolts and it's still leaking then there's no easy fix, I reckon. Bolts 1 and 2 (see my earlier post) might have stripped the threads (easily done) which might have led to the leak in the first place. You can fix this by putting in longer bolts with a nut on the end. Bolt 2 looks like it goes into a blind hole but it actually opens between a couple of fins (or it does on the 850). Make sure this bolt isn't long enough to tighten down on the lower fin, though.
              Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2007, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Mine weeped oil and leaked at the center of the head for about two years. No amount of tightening and over-torqueing the center 6mm bolt would stop it. Someone much smarter than me on this site suggested I replace the o-rings on the two center nuts. I did and it has never leaked since.

mushman

82 GS1100EZ
                95 Daytona 1200
                06 KLR 650

Comment

Well first off thank you all for your info the GS Forum is the best resource i have found!! You guys and gals rock!\\/

I will try the o ring replacement, and i just bought the high temp RTV, Will hurt anything to run with the leak, as long as i check the oil i should be ok right?

Comment

Working...
                  X