Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which direction is the starter supposed to spin the starter clutch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which direction is the starter supposed to spin the starter clutch?

I am at a loss on this issue. This is on my GS1100E. The ring gear located behind my starter clutch just spins when you try and start the bike; nothing beyond that engages. I have pulled the starter clutch and re-installed it and everything is fine. The three bolts holding it to the rotor are in place and intact. Everything was put back together the way it came apart. The ring gear behind the starter clutch spins clockwise by hand and will not spin in the other direction. I had done some wiring work before this cropped up and I was wondering if the starter is spinning backward or something. It spins the gear it runs to counter-clockwise, which in turn spins the ring gear behind the starter clutch clockwise. Is that the way they normally spin? ~Gene

The starter gear is spinning clockwise, the secondary gear spins counter-clockwise and it spins the ring gear behind the starter clutch clockwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Guyver View Post
      The starter gear is spinning clockwise, the secondary gear spins counter-clockwise and it spins the ring gear behind the starter clutch clockwise.
      Your spinning the wrong direction, the starter clutch and starter both have to spin counter-clockwise (normal rotation of engine). I'd say your starter polarities are reversed.

Comment

Still can't figure this out. It has to be electrical because I was working with the wiring harness when this happened. I had a bad connector and was going to replace the whole harness with another one I had on hand and after stripping it out I found out that they were a little different and had to put the old one back in. The majority of connections are either plastic connectors with only one way to connect and color-coded wires. The others I matched up by my manual. Still something is screwy.

Comment

Working...
        X