help!! really stiff clutch lever...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help!! really stiff clutch lever...

My clutch lever recently has become VERY stiff. It's almost like arm wrestling a gorilla. It actually makes my tendons in my wrist sore. I've tried adjusting the cable at the lever, and ive even moved around the lever to get a better pull angle. But it's still rough and it seems to get worse after the bike warms up, or maybe my wrist is just worn out by then..lol. Now keep in mind i do have clubman bars on the bike, but ive been ridding clubmans for years, so i dont think that has anything to do with it (that being the angle of the bars) Anyone have any ideas as to why this is or how to adjust/fix it?? Thanks for any info!!

TCK

First, check for binding or a smashed cable. If nothing is found, replace the cable.

If your clubman bars are significantly shorter than the stockers,
    you might need a shorter clutch cable to keep a proper path to prevent binding.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah i already have checked for kinks or smashed line, and its a near brand new cable. It does have a bit of extra length to it but i dont think its so much that it would cause that. I may be wrong tho. Forgive my ignorance but can i adjust it at the case too or would that be a bad thing to do?

Comment

Sure sounds to me like you haven't advanced the pinion gear fully...
        Sorry for this. I somehow mixed up your topic with another member who doesn't have ENOUGH cable pressure. If you read my reply intended for his topic, you must think I'm nuts.
        Last edited by KEITH KRAUSE; 09-22-2007, 08:52 PM.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

A little too much cable length can cause major binding. The correct length cable must be used.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

On my 1978 550 there is a little grease fitting that lubes the "twist thing" that moves the clutch rod when you pull the clutch lever. Ok, when you remove the smaller cover to access the clutch adjustment nut and screw you will see (if it is like mine) a grease fitting there. Grease that puppy.
            My clutch was really sticky, this was causing it. Maybe it will help you.
            Sorry for the poor terminology. I am a green-horn at bike work.

Comment

Working...
            X