No announcement yet.

Getting grey hairs...............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you checked your carb diaphrams? I had an xj650 with virually the same problems also my carb inlet rubbers were perished. you can fix carb rubbers with condoms but the inlet rubbers you have to buy. good luck

Comment

Guys,

Gonna get extra key made this weekend, also get myself another fuel filter. Then I'll try and see if I can't re-create the problem.

Hopefully problem will occur again, and it's not just one of those intermittent ones that only happen when you least expect.....

Will let y'all know how it turns out. Thanks again.
      Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
      "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
      1982 GS1100E
      1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

By the way........

I said the wife was riding on back with me, right........ Well, she asked later, what I thought might be the problem.

I answered "It was probably just your extra weight!"

Needless to say, that didn't go over well..........

Owner of:
        1982 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by frosty5011
          By the way........

I said the wife was riding on back with me, right........ Well, she asked later, what I thought might be the problem.

I answered "It was probably just your extra weight!"

Needless to say, that didn't go over well..........
          You belong here

Comment

LOL,

Hey Scotty,

Gotta make wife jokes. If'n I make any more Alabama jokes, David and his brothers will show up to give me a beating !!!!!

Owner of:
            1982 GS1100E

Comment

OK,

Back.....Did not get chance to ride bike far this past weekend, weather did not allow it. But I did do the following:

1. Put on new fuel filter (now that old one is pulled, don't think that was the problem. A little dirt in there, but not enough to clog it).

2. Redid the fuel line and vacuum line with new hoses. (There is a chance that fuel line was kinked enough to limit fuel supply coming through). Vacuum line - figured what the heck, replace it too.

3. Found out easiest way to check if cap is venting right.......disassemble it . Never thought to check before if you could (duh)...should've known. Very simple procedure....and cap was definately not clogged. Double-checked it also by putting a vacuum on the vacuum line....and draining entire fuel tank......got a good flow, and could hear the air being drawn in through the cap. Drained entire tank with strong fuel flow entire time, so I should be right in assuming that there was not enough junk in tank to temporarily clog the screen in the tank (or petcock)...right?

4. Ensured that vent lines were in no way squashed or kinked.

After all this was done, and bike reassembled, I let it run for about 30-40 minutes......no problem. Next test will have to be later on this week when it warms up again and I can drive it for 30-40 miles. Looks like it may have been the fuel line (hopefully).

Do have just one question at this point......the stupid petcock with the screwdriver slot which I have on mine.....where is the prime setting? I turned that little slot everyway possible.....could not get the fuel to flow. Only with a vacuum will fuel pass through that thing.....even though there is "Pri" written on the petcock.....but no arrows on valve to tell me if I'm pointing at it.

Owner of:
              1982 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
              X