Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right turn signal.

1977 GS550e.

My left turn signal works fine. The right one doesn't.

I switch the switch to the right, and the indicator lights up on my instrument cluster, but it doesn't blink, and my lights do nothing.

What might be the problem?

Thanks in advance,

Satch

Check both the front and rear bulbs if you haven't already. Maybe a bad flasher unit. Mine went out years ago and I replaced it with one of the little, round automotive type. It has worked ever since. You may also have some corrosion in the switch itself. From there check your wiring in the headlight bucket.

Comment

the ground for both signals join behind the headlight, unpluged maybe.

Comment

If your flasher is like mine('79 GS1000, 2 prong) it does'nt know left or right, both sides work or neither work. Your flasher is 'ok'.You should have a bad bulb. Look at the filaments. If you still can't tell,take the 2 out of the left side and put in the right side. If it works you know the connections are good and you just need a bulb. KK.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I've noticed when a bulb goes bad on my bike that the corrosponding signal and the indicater on the instument cluster will light up, but not blink. Kinda sounds like a common ground or the blinker relay itself, assuming neither bulb lights at all.

Comment

Hello,
            I had the same problem on my GS750 77'. I replaced the flasher unit and the problem was gone...
            I do not know how expensive a new flasher unit is where you live, but here in Denmark it costs about 9 us dollars. It is probably cheaper over there, usually everything is violently expensive here...
            Good luck.

Comment

Had the same problem on my 81 GS1000, after some troubleshooting, ie. swap the front light connections & see if the symptom stays or follows the light, do the same with the rear.... turs out the front bulb was dirty/corroded at the base. I cleaned it up & presto... just like new

Comment

Check the bulbs first. In fact, while you're gonna be there anyway, replace them. The bulb can light and still be bad because the filament is broken and draped over the running light filament "if so equipped".

Comment

Loose connection? About once a month or so this happens on my bike. Vibration works the indicator stalk loose. I just tighten up the indicator and it's fine again. Try turning on the indicator and then gently moving the indicator stalk and pressing it in towards the bike. If it's the same problem as on my bike you'll find the indicator flashes as you momentarily find the right position.

Roger

Comment

I had that same problem, but once I passed the kidney stone everything was ok!

Wait...sorry, wrong forum.

Hap

Comment

right turn signal

You might want to examine the turn signal stalk itself for internal breakage. If it's anything like the stalk on my 1100 the threaded hollow tube that bolts the whole mess to the bike frame is the ground. If its broken then it will make an intermittent connection. On mine I managed to slide a ground wire from the frame through the hollow stalk and to a grounding screw in the bulb housing. Seems to work fine.

Comment

Working...
                      X