Hey Keith!!! over here!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Keith!!! over here!!

THis is going to sound probably like a dumb question, but its been buggin me over the last day or so...so chuckle if you like...

Ive never paid attn to this, but I havent started the bike in a few days, and obviously the last time i did, there was fuel in my fuel line...its clear i can see it....so yesterday when i go out there to take my carbs off for rejet, there's no fuel in the fuel line...and theres a bit of gas in the carbs....are my float valves leaking and letting gas flow into my case/cylinders?? or is it just shrinking from temp variations? Evaporating? This is with my fully functional petcock in the ON position.

Thanks!!

TCK

Yes, the float valves are allowing the fuel that was in the line to pass through into the bowls.
    I've actually seen this happen with carbs rebuilt with new float valves. No real obvious cause for it but it can happen. In a case like that, all you can do is buy a Pingel type fuel valve and shut off each time. You can STILL get the fuel that's still in the line entering the carbs or possibly the crankcase though.
    If after verifying the valves are good, carbs clean, petcock operating good, etc, to eliminate all chances of fuel entering, you have to run a positive fuel shut off valve AND turn the valve off about 1/2 mile before actually turning off the motor. That 1/2 mile will use up what's in the line and most of what's in the passages leading to each float valve.
    Some say a correctly operating petcock won't allow fuel to drain because of the suction effect. But in your hand, try filling a similar size fuel line with fuel and positively plug the top end. Pull it straight out of the fuel source and it doesn't drain, right? Now do the same thing but angle or bend the fuel line the same way it's positioned on your bike, which can be in part nearly horizontal, especially if the bike is on the sidestand. You'll now see the fuel tilt and suddenly defeat the suction effect and it will drain.
    So even a perfectly operating petcock can allow the fuel in the line to drain.
    The float valves are allowing the fuel to pass.
    Many times, parking on the centerstand, and thus changing the angle of the fuel line somewhat, will minimize or even eliminate draining fuel.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Cafe, I waited a few minutes to see if you answered.
      I need to hit the hay now. I'll try to check in tomorrow if you need help.
      Watch that fuel drain. It may reach the crankcase and then you have to drain the oil and fix things. Before long, you can accumulate a large amount just from the fuel line draining after each overnight stop.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

it seems to take a couple days
        but i havent really paid attn to it.
        this is depressing somewhat.

lol

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
          , all you can do is buy a Pingel type fuel valve and shut off each time. .
          Do they make an inline shut off valve? I'd hate to have to replace my petcock. Just askin...i dont mean to be cheap...but im not at all rich...lol

Comment

Ok here's what i dont understand...if thats the case...WHY do i have to prime the carbs?? if they're full, then they shouldnt need primed...And this doesnt happen over night...least not that ive noticed. Mind you ive just recently put this clear fuel line on. I plan on changing the oil to see if it smells of gas..but with whatever carb probs i was having/am having it may smell of gas anyway...Man this is getting me ****ed. A pingel is like 80 bucks and thats not including the mount up bracket...SHEESH one thing after the next.

Comment

Man 80 bucks????? Screw that. Go to a hardware store and build your own shut off valve and put it inline. That's what I'd do. Its called Mexican Ingenuity, the best in the world

My guess on priming the carbs is that you need to suck gas up into them. Cuz I reckon that the gas is just sitting in the bowls after all the fuel settles

Comment

Originally posted by Ironriot View Post
                Man 80 bucks????? Screw that. Go to a hardware store and build your own shut off valve and put it inline. That's what I'd do. Its called Mexican Ingenuity, the best in the world

My guess on priming the carbs is that you need to suck gas up into them. Cuz I reckon that the gas is just sitting in the bowls after all the fuel settles
                Someone has to sell one...ive seen them for RC planes but thats a much smaller fuel line im sure. Im gonna order some new float valves..which i didnt do when i redid my carbs...and see what happens..i just am freakin thinking that gas is leaking into my case. thats a recipie for disaster.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  Someone has to sell one...ive seen them for RC planes but thats a much smaller fuel line im sure. Im gonna order some new float valves..which i didnt do when i redid my carbs...and see what happens..i just am freakin thinking that gas is leaking into my case. thats a recipie for disaster.
                  Gas washed cylinders and the thought of what that gas is doing to those bearings. Not a pretty picture at all. Yet another reason why FI is a god send

Comment

Hard to tell if gas is entering or not. You CAN have a higher than normal fuel level in the bowl(s) without it spilling down the carb throat and reaching the crank. I've seen where carbs are leaking and it's still only puddling at the manifold and if you have pods you can see the bottom/front of the pod saturating with fuel many times. Obviously, if the leak is enough, it will get to the crank. Smell test is usually good enough to tell. A bad enough leak will raise the level in the oil window.
                    Whatever you do, don't buy a valve that has a smaller ID than your fuel line.
                    Out the door. Will try to help more later if needed.

Comment

In line valve

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                      Do they make an inline shut off valve? I'd hate to have to replace my petcock. Just askin...i dont mean to be cheap...but im not at all rich...lol
                      In the lawnmower section at Lowes, I found a fuel line (1/4 in ID) with inline shut-off value (aprox 1 in dia x 1 in depth). Think I paid $6 - $7 for it.

I had used on an old 79 550 where the petcock leaked and I couldn't find a replacement or rebuild kit.

The only problem I had with it was remembering to switch it on/off.

Temporary until you get the petcock fixed.

Comment

Thanks man! that sounds like a winner for now...i just cant stomache the thought of spending 80 bucks on a petcock when mine seems to be working fine. Ill change out the float valves and see if that makes a difference and if not the inline valve it will be.

Comment

Working...
                        X