Rejetting Carbs: In Search of Free Lunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rejetting Carbs: In Search of Free Lunch

In the GS Forum, I have seen many threads concerning the issue of dialing in carburetors and the various topics such as Flat spots, plug chops & jetting in general. Since this is a timeless issue, I have scanned the Cycle World magazine article “In Search of Free Lunch" written by Steve Anderson Jan 1983. I believe you will find the information relative & informative since the article testing was done on a 1982 Suzuki GS1100E w Kerker 4 into 1.

The files is 7 pages (4.0 MB) be patient. So, if you find this interesting perhaps I can scan the rest of my articles from Joe Minton, Peter Egan etc.

Steve

1979 GS1000E (45 Yrs), 1981 GPz550 (11 Yrs)

OK, call me exhausted from a road trip, but I could not wade through all the promos and offers for free toolbars to actually download the pdf file. Whenever I clicked on the "click here to download" area, all it did was open a new window with the same information.

When I finally did get something else to appear on the screen, it was saying that my user ID was invalid. Evidently you need to have an account with these people to retrieve the file. I would be interested in downloading the file, but I don't want to jump through all those hoops.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK, my bad.

I finally looked more carefully at the selections on the page. The one on the left that says "Start Download Now" or something like that will work just fine. 8-[

It must be time for bed about now. 44 hours ago, my son and I left for a road trip. Went to a town about 90 miles west of Minneapolis/St, Paul, hooked up to a 32-foot RV travel trailer for a friend, brought it back to southwest oHIo and set it up in her yard. About 2000 miles in the last 44 hours, it's beddy-bye time.
      Last edited by Steve; 12-21-2007, 08:34 PM.
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Excellent article and download worked well thanks for sharing!

Comment

yep,

very good read. It reminds me of the time I spent trying to get the carbs right on the VM GS 1000 woth pods. Probably 4-6 hrs, and it's not perfect.

I would definitly be more hesitant to attempt to do a CV type carb, and If I did, I would seriously consider an oxygen sensor. Preferably a wideband, but a standard car's narrowband would work too.
          Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

I believe this article reinforces the fact that carb jetting, exhaust & filter modifications do not operate in a vacuum. Quite often any one these modifications by themselves results in unforseen negative driveability characteristics.

We here in the USA literally hear this symptom on any Sunday, how many times have you heard a sick running Harley after the owner installed a S/S Carb & drag pipes?

Next week after X-mas, watch for Post Carb Jetting II "What the Factory Never Told You"

PS: Many thanks to Matchless for answering all of my questions about Mediafire.
            Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post
              In the GS Forum, I have seen many threads concerning the issue of dialing in carburetors and the various topics such as Flat spots, plug chops & jetting in general. Since this is a timeless issue, I have scanned the Cycle World magazine article “In Search of Free Lunch" written by Steve Anderson Jan 1983. I believe you will find the information relative & informative since the article testing was done on a 1982 Suzuki GS1100E w Kerker 4 into 1.

The files is 7 pages (4.0 MB) be patient. So, if you find this interesting perhaps I can scan the rest of my articles from Joe Minton, Peter Egan etc.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7ttgomzmmjz
              Nice article; Can I still buy some of those Marzocchi's for $159 (see last page)

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                Nice article; Can I still buy some of those Marzocchi's for $159 (see last page)
                That sounds like a good price
                Steve

Comment

Originally posted by srsupertrap View Post

http://www.mediafire.com/?7ttgomzmmjz
                  Hey SR did you ever scan those other articles by Joe Minton and Peter Egan for us avid GS readers.

Comment

Become a believer

Great article on intake tuning.

Interesting how the Mikuni Techs confirm the positive effects of sonic resonance provided by a well designed airbox!!
                    :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                      Hey SR did you ever scan those other articles by Joe Minton and Peter Egan for us avid GS readers.
                      Hi Suzuki_Don
                      Here is a couple of Joe Minton's Self Service articles on basic carb circuits & components. Nothing to deep but there are a couple good rule of thumbs which every GSer who tweaks carbs needs to remember. I have more period technical articles but I no longer have access to a scanner.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?1gwzy3nmf1s

MediaFire is a simple to use free service that lets you put all your photos, documents, music, and video in a single place so you can access them anywhere and share them everywhere.
                      Steve

Comment

Thanks SUPERTRAP, it's a shame you dont have access to a scanner. It would have been great to get a copy of those other articles too.

Great information and an enjoyable read of the articles you did provide us with.

Much appreciated.

Comment

Great articles! I've spent the last few weeks working on pods on my CV's, and this will really help out. After reading this, I spent another $80 on pilots and even bigger mains. Amazing that they had to go up 22 sizes on their mains to get it right!

It was a revelation to me to read about the effect of the pods on the vacuum. Makes me kind of wonder if a bit of an insert plate at the carb inlet that made for some restriction would help them pull more vacuum and eliminate the need to go so large on the pilots. In my case, I can't fit an airbox in my bike's frame, so I'm putting on pods as a necessity. A bit of restriction in the flow would not hurt anything. Any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by LeeGS550E View Post
                            Great articles! I've spent the last few weeks working on pods on my CV's, and this will really help out. After reading this, I spent another $80 on pilots and even bigger mains. Amazing that they had to go up 22 sizes on their mains to get it right!

It was a revelation to me to read about the effect of the pods on the vacuum. Makes me kind of wonder if a bit of an insert plate at the carb inlet that made for some restriction would help them pull more vacuum and eliminate the need to go so large on the pilots. In my case, I can't fit an airbox in my bike's frame, so I'm putting on pods as a necessity. A bit of restriction in the flow would not hurt anything. Any thoughts?
                            WHAAAAT!?!?!?!?! 22 sizes?? WTF??? What the hell were they doing?? Thats the most rediculous thing ive ever heard....man i wish i could see this article.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                              WHAAAAT!?!?!?!?! 22 sizes?? WTF??? What the hell were they doing?? Thats the most rediculous thing ive ever heard....man i wish i could see this article.
                              Sent you an email with "print screen" pics of the article.

Well, if the address is still something like the "godfather" through g-mail.

Can send the PDF version as well, but the pics are smaller in size. Might be easier to load.

Comment

Working...
                              X