1981 GS750EX Starter Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS750EX Starter Noise

Click on Link below and turn up the sound. The starter is making a real whining sound.

What is this? Should I plan to remove the starter or go after the starter clutch?

When I first bought the bike two weeks ago I think it was overcharging and the starter would spin a little faster at 13+Volts. Now that I have gotten the charging voltage down even with a new batter at about 12.7V the starter doesnt turn over quite as quick and it whines alot more before starting. It doesnt take much for the engine to hit but when it is hotter it is getting much more difficult.

Is this the starter clutch behind the rotor?
    There is no noticeable noice when the engine runs in any gear. At the end of the video the engine is idling and it is very quite.

I'm planning on a stator replacement, but dont have a side cover gasket at the moment. I have replacement starter, gears and probably stater clutch on my parts bike.

Posplayr

Sounds like the starter clutch is slipping.

Comment

Starter Clutch

So I guess that means replacement? Am I doing any harm leaving it as is for a while till I assemble the various parts? Rotor has to come off right?
      TIA
      Posplayr

Comment

Eventually it will just keep spinning. IIRC the rotor has to come off.

Comment

You can rebuild them if nothing is broken.

1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I have parts on order

from Bikebandit

#5,#6,#7, and #8 times 3 along with the puller from

I have a spare parts bike that cranks well so I will disassemble it first and then pick the best parts of the two while replacing above.

Plan on Red locktite on main 14mm bolt and blue on the smaller retaining bolts.

Thanks.
            Posplayr

Comment

OK I finally was able to procure an bolt to do the starter clutch removal. It is a simple 14 x 1.5 mm bolt!! I ordered a 16 x 1.5 and picked one up and found out it is the wrong one for the 1980 GS750 parts bike. :shock: You can see the puller bolt in the picture.

The good news is the the parts bike starter clutch looks almost brand new. The starter motor also spins wonderfully so I will likely switch it out as well. Even the brass bearing in the main flywheel looks virtually brand new. \\/ That parts bike was well worth the $250 paid.

The other think I should note is that there was alot of bonding material. Almost as if there is an attempt to bond the clutch to the tapered crankshaft. With the ease of which this clutch came off, I will not have any problem making liberal use of the Red Locktite on the 14 mm blot threads and the tappered crankshaft. I will let it sit overnight before attempting to crank.

I stuck a steel bar in the rear wheel that wedged against the rear chain stays (no one to push the brakes). By just turing the puller bolt, the clutch just popped off; no hammering!!!

I still have new spring/wedge parts on order and will wait for them to arrive to swap out the clutch on the working bike. I'll probably go the Electrosport stator at that time as well.

Posplayr

Comment

Starter Clutch nut torque

I have an '81 1100, I went out to start it to keep the battery up and my bike made the same "zing" that this bike did, however mine did not start. I pulled my cover off and found no broken parts but the nut holding the starter clutch on was very loose which was allowing all the other gears to disengage. How tight (foot pounds) should that nut be in order for it to work correctly?

Also what gasket am I going to need to replace, is it the starter cover? A part number would be great

Thanks
                Last edited by Guest; 01-20-2008, 07:03 PM.

Comment

94.5-101.5 ft.-lb.

Part number on gasket 11483-49210
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks for the help

Comment

Man Posplayer i wish i would have seen this thread earlier. I have an 80 motor with all the starter and rotor pulled out already and its clean as a whistle. I had actually planned to put it in my old 77 750B motor since my starter clutch is probably shot (spins but doesnt grab) as the parts are the same. But i got a new motor, and wasnt going to go thru all that now. My bad man

Comment

No problems CafeKid

The starter clutch I used on the Blue 81 GS750 was off my 1980 GS750 parts bike and it was in pristine condition. With the new sprints/barrals installed I could barely get it back together (very tight).

From this experience, I'm going to swap out the barrels on my Red 83 GS1100ED to make sure I'm not having to dive back into that in 6 months ; it is all apart right now for cams, cosmetics and new engine paint.

Posplayr

Comment

Working...
                        X