front spocket 16 t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front spocket 16 t

I have a 1984 gs 750 ..I was wondeing if anyone can tell me is the 16 t sprocket comes on the 1984 gs 1100.I am putting a new swing arm on my bike to fit a bigger tire.I need a 5/8 offset sprocket to make it work.If the 1100 is the same i know i can buy one for my bike.Any help with this would be great.

Bill

I'd ask member name "80gs1000" He knows alot about offset sprockets.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

The 1100 sprocket will fit. Suzuki's been using the same spline pattern on the countershaft sprockets for 30+ years now from the GS to the GSXR. What size chain are you using? And which rear wheel are you using? I recommend using a DID ERV3 520 chain and 520 front/rear sprockets so you don't have to grind the inside of your frame to keep the chain from rubbing.

Comment

I was going to use gsxr wheel and i was going to use a 530 chain.This swingarm is shorter then the one that came on my bike.I am putting on extension on my swing arm.I need a 140 530 pitch link chain.

Thanks for the name of the place for the sprocket.

Bill

Comment

I know the 750/1100 gsxr's are the same into the 90's and the 1150's. Wasn't sure about the 750's when they changed engine style.

520 chain and sprogs are an option. or split the diff with a 525 chain and sprogs.
          Last edited by katman; 01-25-2008, 05:13 AM.
          KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

hey katman just to clarify are you suggesting mixing 520 & 525 parts in your last post :?

Comment

Its never a good idea to mix booze or sprocket pitches........and expecially both at the same time....
              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
                Its never a good idea to mix booze or sprocket pitches........and expecially both at the same time....
                :-D thought as much, glad to se you've edited it \\/

Comment

Katman-

Have you had to grind the inside of your frames for chain clearance with a 530 chain and a 5/8" offset front sprocket? Is the 750/1100 frame wider at the subframe/swingarm pivot than the 1000 frame?

520 = no grinding on a 1000 frame with the correct DID chain mentioned above. There's a width difference even amongst 520 chains, so the DID one is the narrowest and the best choice for the 1000.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                    Katman-

Have you had to grind the inside of your frames for chain clearance with a 530 chain and a 5/8" offset front sprocket? Is the 750/1100 frame wider at the subframe/swingarm pivot than the 1000 frame?
                    No, I didn't have to grind the frame. The chain just clears. the nice thing about the '90's wheels is that you can mill down the hub a few mm.

I believe you are using a '2000 series gixxer rear wheel? they are 6.35mm wider at the hub than the '90's so you will have more chain clearence issues. The offset would have to be another 3mm closer to the frame"

I would be very interested in the spacer numbers you are running. Did you leave your rear wheel "centered" in the swingarm with stock spacers or did you offset it to align the sprockets?
                    Last edited by katman; 01-26-2008, 04:01 PM.
                    KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

I believe you are using a '2000 series gixxer rear wheel? they are 1/4" wider at the hub than the '90's so you will have more chain clearence issues. The offset would have to be another 3mm closer to the frame"

I would be very interested in the spacer numbers you are running. Did you leave your rear wheel "centered" in the swingarm with stock spacers or did you offset it to align the sprockets?
                      Interesting, didn't know the earlier GSXR wheels are narrower at the hub than the newer ones.

Rear wheel is 5.5x17" with a 180/55/17 Michelin Pilot Power tire from a 2005 GSXR 750. Chain is 520 pitch, 5/8" offset front sprocket was required to clear the wider rear tire. I tried a different brand (EK) of 520 chain but it rubbed on the frame. The DID is narrower and doesn't rub.

Swingarm is from a 2006 GSXR 1000. Spacers are the stock 750 2005 spacers. Everything bolts up with no mods.

The only real mod required for sprocket alignment was to cut the GSXR 750 cush drive rubbers down by 15 mm as the rubbers also act as sprocket spacers on the newer Gixxer wheels.

The rear wheel is aligned with the front so there are no steering or crabwalking issues. It tracks perfectly straight with neutral handling.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                        The only real mod required for sprocket alignment was to cut the GSXR 750 cush drive rubbers down by 15 mm as the rubbers also act as sprocket spacers on the newer Gixxer wheels.
                        15MM??? how can that be? I must be missunderstanding something.

You cut 15mm out of your cush rubbers, moving your sprocket carrier over 1/2" toward the center of the wheel. The '05 hub if I am not mistaken is relatively flat, not like the gs's. The sprocket carrier can't move in that far cuz the sprocket will hit the wheel casting......

do you have a close up of this wheel not on the bike after the work was done?
                        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

15MM??? how can that be? I must be missunderstanding something.

You cut 15mm out of your cush rubbers, moving your sprocket carrier over 1/2" toward the center of the wheel. The '05 hub if I am not mistaken is relatively flat, not like the gs's. The sprocket carrier can't move in that far cuz the sprocket will hit the wheel casting......

do you have a close up of this wheel not on the bike after the work was done?

On the stock 05 750 wheels like the one above, the metal prongs on the back of the sprocket carrier that goes into the cush rubbers don't extend all the way to the back of the casting of the wheel's cush drive. You can trim 15 mm off the cush drive rubbers which moves the sprocket carrier inward by that much. That's pretty much the max though because at this point the prongs of the sprocket carrier are touching the castings of the wheel and cutting any more rubber won't do any good. Clear as mud? Might not make sense till you have the parts in front of you and you try it yourself.

End result, chain is dead straight front to rear and doesn't drag on the frame, with no grinding required.

BTW, what's the rear axle diameter on those older Gixxer wheels?
                          Last edited by Guest; 01-26-2008, 10:02 PM.

Comment

So you had to shorten the inner spacer as well. Between the carrier and the bearing?

The axle is the same as the 1100's. 20mm.

I am surprised you had to move the srpocket in over 1/2" to get it lined up
                            KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Comment

Nope, all spacers are stock. Like I said, only mod required was the cush drive rubbers.

Comment

Working...
                              X