Main Fuse Blows Even With Key Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Main Fuse Blows Even With Key Off

My son's GS650 keeps blowing the main fuse. He said this happened when he was coming home and turned his handlebars to pull in the drive...........bike died and he discovered main fuse was blown...........he put in a new fuse and it blows as soon as you put it in. You don't even have to put the key in the bike or try to start it. It just blows as soon as it touches. Bike ran PERFECTLY before this. Where do I start looking?

voltage regulator... disconnect it and then try a fuse again.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by c50t rider View Post
      My son's GS650 keeps blowing the main fuse. He said this happened when he was coming home and turned his handlebars to pull in the drive...........bike died and he discovered main fuse was blown...........he put in a new fuse and it blows as soon as you put it in. You don't even have to put the key in the bike or try to start it. It just blows as soon as it touches. Bike ran PERFECTLY before this. Where do I start looking?
      The fact that turning the handlebars makes me think the power line to the ignition switch is grounding. My brother has a similar problem with a pickup, he turns left, the fuel pump turns off. Electrical bugs are the worst, but I bet it's in the headlight bucket.

Comment

Get a second set of eyes...turn off all the lights...stick the fuse in and watch for the quick bright flash. :shock:

Of course do this after you pull the tank and thoroughly inspect the wiring to try to find where a wire is chafed and grounding. With the tank off, move the bars full range and watch the wiring up around the neck area, headlight shell etc,...where you see the wiring moving is a likely area to start looking real close for the arc marks.

If you have an ohmmeter and know how to use it then chase it that way...try not to pop too many fuses since every time you do you are pulling fault current through your connectors.

Comment

Originally posted by GSBuilder View Post
          The fact that turning the handlebars makes me think the power line to the ignition switch is grounding. My brother has a similar problem with a pickup, he turns left, the fuel pump turns off. Electrical bugs are the worst, but I bet it's in the headlight bucket.

I'll agree with all that except my money is on the wiring outside the bucket, right near the steering bearings ...

Thats my 2 cents worth ...

(not a very big bet is it) \\/

It could well be either place, but turning the bars makes me suspect right near the pivot.

Comment

Working...
          X