This is why to check your intake boots!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is why to check your intake boots!

So I was planning on replacing these intake boots on my 82 gs850g when I rebuilt the carbs, and so here is a couple pics of why you should replace these if they're the factory ones and in this case, older than I am!

see how flat the 0-ring is and with that HUGE break in it?!?

and look at the rubber of the boot it's self! lmao

Wehen I picked up my 1100G (which is now Cafe Kid's), the o-rings and boots looked just like that.

You could actually hear and see the huffing and puffing through the boots on startup.
    sigpic

SUZUKI:
    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Great to see how age and warmth changes the rubber gaskets. How hard was it to get those cheese headed screws out?? They must be the same age as the O rings.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Lets throw the idea of you having an assistant out of the thought process ... I am more impressed with your ability to take pictures while both hands are in the photograph ... :-D

My new intake boots just arrived today, hoping to tackle the same project this weekend.

Thanks for the pics!

~ dubs

Comment

... and some people will ignore these for as long as possible, preferring instead to post here again and again about mixture screw settings, float height, jet size, etcetera, etcetera -- as if there's some magical process for working around the condition, some fine-tuning secret that we're not divulging.

I don't care if they buy them from ME -- just buy some, PERIOD, and get 'em installed.

I might swipe that photo and link to it. It's a better example than mine: http://www.cycleorings.com/intake.html

(and apparently, bdub416 has never heard of a nostril-controlled shutter release).
          and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
          __________________________________________________ ______________________
          2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I just got my GS1100GL. It makes a noise that makes me want to take a real close look at the cam chain tensioner. Since I have to take the carbs off to get there, I went ahead and ordered new boots and o-rings. I also got stainless allen head bolts to put back on.

I try to look at all the parts I will be passing on my way to digging into a project and figure out what else I can do some Preventative Maintenance on in the course. Makes my life I lot simpler in the long run.:shock:

Comment

ok ok, so I had my girl friend take the pictures over my shoulder to make it appear that I was the one taking them! LMAO

Also these weren't that bad to take off. I didn't use a screwdriver though. I just locked a large pair of vice grips onto them and after giving a little grunt they came out! I did try (just for kicks) a screwdriver first and that definitely wasn't going to work!

That one just fell apart like that when I pulled the carbs off too. I didn't even rip it apart.

Also R. Barr, feel free to use those pics, or if you would like, I can get better/different ones for you. I still have all of them sitting there!

Comment

The massive fire I had the third day I had my bike toasted mine, so I had no choice but to replace them.

Comment

Wow, I think those o-rings and boots have definately seen better days. Getting the o-rings replaced is easy and cheap. Definately something to do when the bike is torn down. Finding the Intake Boots themselves, now that is a bit harder to do. I am still looking for some for my gs550e, but since mine are no where near what yours are, I can salvage mine. Though, I know, before summer is ended, I will have to locate some.

Good luck with your ride. Those screw sets that Mr. Barr has, makes this process a whole lot easier, and they look nice too!

Comment

Originally posted by Mellow'dOut View Post
                    I just got my GS1100GL. It makes a noise that makes me want to take a real close look at the cam chain tensioner. Since I have to take the carbs off to get there, I went ahead and ordered new boots and o-rings. I also got stainless allen head bolts to put back on.:shock:
                    You will never regret the o rings and bolts. Advice to you and everyone here, get a decent impact screwdriver. HF has a cheapie for 6 bucks thats a piece of dung, and one thats really made almost exactly like the Craftsman set for about 20 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlander View Post
                      Wow, I think those o-rings and boots have definately seen better days. Getting the o-rings replaced is easy and cheap. Definately something to do when the bike is torn down. Finding the Intake Boots themselves, now that is a bit harder to do. I am still looking for some for my gs550e, but since mine are no where near what yours are, I can salvage mine. Though, I know, before summer is ended, I will have to locate some.

Good luck with your ride. Those screw sets that Mr. Barr has, makes this process a whole lot easier, and they look nice too!
                      I think BikeBandit still sells the boots no?? I know they arent exactly cheap, but then again, its one of those things you have to replace once every 20 or so years.

Comment

bike bandit sells boots for $25ish per and flatoutmotorcycles sells them for $20ish per.

Comment

Put mine in yesterday.
                          3 out of 4 looked just like those.
                          McLoud
                          '79 GS850
                          `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                          sigpic
                          http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Originally posted by mcloud View Post
                            Put mine in yesterday.
                            3 out of 4 looked just like those.

and how does it run now compared to the day before yesterday???

Comment

Originally posted by mighty13d View Post
                              and how does it run now compared to the day before yesterday???
                              LOL!!
                              Coudn't tell you.
                              See http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=125421
                              McLoud
                              '79 GS850
                              `98 GSF1200 Bandit
                              sigpic
                              http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...php?groupid=13

Comment

Working...
                              X