Where are all the frame grounds? '83 GS850GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are all the frame grounds? '83 GS850GL

I am still trying to track down all these gremlins. Have taken care of a couple. Still fighting with the turn signals, horn, high beams (basically everything on the left switch). I have tested the switch and it seems good. I am now testing wiring. There have got to be some grounds I am missing! I have cleaned all sides of the battery to frame ground. What other ones should I be looking for? There is such a mess of wiring on my bike it isn't even funny :-|

Also, there is a ground in my headlight bucket that I can't figure out. It's 2 wires going into 1 connector (it's not the turn signal ground). I can't find it on the wiring diagram. It wasn't connected to anything when I opened the bucket. There was alot of wires that weren't connected to anything :? We've been switching out connectors and checking everything as we go, but this is getting frustrating.

If its like the 82 gs850g you have one at the rear of the engine case (neg from the battery), then under the seat one at the lh loom going to the neg post of the battery, one from the rh loom going to battery tray "rear support" and two up near the ft turn signals.

Got a link to the wiring diagram?
    Last edited by rustybronco; 06-03-2008, 06:35 PM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I found all of them except up from near the turn signals.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
        If its like the 82 gs850g you have one at the rear of the engine case (neg from the battery), then under the seat one at the lh loom going to the neg post of the battery, one from the rh loom going to battery tray "rear support" and two up near the ft turn signals.

Got a link to the wiring diagram?
        Can you take some pictures of your electrical panel and grounds for me and post them up?

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman View Post
          I am still trying to track down all these gremlins. Have taken care of a couple. Still fighting with the turn signals, horn, high beams (basically everything on the left switch). I have tested the switch and it seems good. I am now testing wiring. There have got to be some grounds I am missing! I have cleaned all sides of the battery to frame ground. What other ones should I be looking for? There is such a mess of wiring on my bike it isn't even funny :-|

Also, there is a ground in my headlight bucket that I can't figure out. It's 2 wires going into 1 connector (it's not the turn signal ground). I can't find it on the wiring diagram. It wasn't connected to anything when I opened the bucket. There was alot of wires that weren't connected to anything :? We've been switching out connectors and checking everything as we go, but this is getting frustrating.
          The two wires going to one connector, what color is it? Also taking pics and posting them up will help. I have the same bike so I may be able to help.

Like I said in the other post check your headlight fuse too.

Have you looked at the wiring diagram?

Comment

Let me see what I can do for pics. I have a clymer manual and about have the wiring diagram memorized :shock: Not all the stuff on my bike follows the diagram though. I think that is part of the frustration. Half the stuff the po's have done ](*,)

Comment

Originally posted by wolfman View Post
              I have a clymer manual and about have the wiring diagram memorized Not all the stuff on my bike follows the diagram though. I think that is part of the frustration. Half the stuff the po's have done
              And the other half could be due to an error in the Clymer diagram. :shock:

Looking at the diagram for 1983 GS850G & GL (on page 241 in my book), locate the fuse block in the lower right corner, then follow the red wire that goes out the left side of the MAIN (fourth from the top) fuse. Follow that red wire up and to the left, to the ignition switch. So far, so good. The diagram says that when the switch is ON, it will connect the red wire to a green wire which goes up to some lights. THIS IS WRONG. Just above that green wire at the ignition switch is an orange wire. THAT is the wire that should be connected to the red wire when the switch is ON. It then goes back to the fuse panel to feed the top three fuses.

In summary, in this book, ALL the diagrams for ALL bikes from 1981 and newer, except the '83-'84 1100GK have this same error. ](*,)

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I did figure the orange wire is the hot. Is there a diagram that is correct?

Comment

I did get a pic but you can't tell what it is. It is a ground black/white 2 wires going into 1 bullet connector I cant see anything to connect it into. Could that be the frame grounds I can't find? I am a complete idiot when it comes to this stuff. I have the good camera charging, this is just from my phone.

Comment

Working...
                  X