Best Oil To Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amsoil?

Is that synthetic oil? I am curious about Ness's use of diesel oil. Since the engines do get so much hotter, wouldn't we want to use an oil that held up longer?

BTW; in the end I went to Fleet Farm and got teh 10w 40 motorcycle oil.

Thanks--this became a very interesting thread!!!!

Rick

Comment

Yes amsoil is a true synthetic motor oil as are motul and redline.

"Generally speaking"
      diesel oils (rotella is one) have a more "robust" additive package that resists sheering better than car oils, no molybdeum disulfate (moly) that is detrimental to the wet clutches we have in our bikes. diesel engine oils include the last line of defense to engine oil breakdown, better camshaft wear ect. "zddp" (Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphates) which has been replaced by moly in most typical car oils.
      a good 10w40, changed about every 1,500 miles will be just fine for most people.

It's those who want or need something more that use it.

my experience... 10w40 quaker state about 1,000 miles.
      rotella t 15w40, 2,000 miles
      amsoil 20w50, 5,000 so far (changing it this weekend)
      rotella t 5w40 synthetic, i'll let you know shortly...
      Last edited by rustybronco; 06-28-2008, 11:58 AM.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Just my two cents.

Redline is as good as it gets. They absolutley do not compromise or worry about "ratings".

I use Redline in my turbocharged BMW (high heat from a non ball bearing turbo).

I use Redline motorcycle specific oil in my 82 GS1100E (air cooled engine in Oklahoma - can see 100 degrees regularly in the Summer).

I will use Redline when I get the 69 Z/28 engine back together (old style flat tappet cam - newer oils don't have enough zinc and even Rotella is cutting down on it).

Will use Redline on the Ferrari V-12 going in my little 2200 lb hot rod (obviously don't want to go through THAT engine again).

Wouldn't consider anything else.

Now, if one of my cars was a late model Chevy with a roller cam, would probably just go with a cheaper synthetic, like Mobil One.

I understand the laboratory exercises under controlled circumstances. What worries me are the uncontrolled things.

Again, just my 02 cents.

Lynn

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          There’s a internet forum specific for the purpose of discussing internal combustion engine oil - http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php Those people eat, drink, and sleep oil, and opinions are not very well accepted over there – bring your chemical analysis report or stay home.

One thing I learned from these guys is that synthetic oil does not lubricate better per say, except in extreme heat – such as air cooled motorcycles, but it does last quite a bit longer. Long life helps mitigate the high cost. Motorcycles chew up the long chain additives in the oil and shear it down – reducing viscosity. Synthetic oil requires less of these additives since the base stock is more stable. The reason I like diesel engine oil is because the additive package is more robust – good for motorcycles (not recommended for auto engines though because the additives are not good for catalyst life).

In the end the most important thing is to just change the oil.
          What I have learned from that site and the TDI club site is changing the oil too often can increase engine wear. People have done a series of uoa's at different intervals and have found the highest amount of wear metals in the first 1000 miles and after that the wear metals go down substantially. The logic is it takes time for the anti wear (zddp) to burnish on to the surfaces. The only way to know for sure how often to change the oil is to have it analyzed and change it when there are signs of breakdown. Dan
          Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2008, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Oil

So, where might one find Amsoil, Redline oils - diesel or otherwise? And, is there a reason folks here seem to be going with heavier oils when using synthetics, or diesel oil, than when running "normal" petroleum oils?

-- Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Lloyd View Post
              So, where might one find Amsoil, Redline oils - diesel or otherwise? And, is there a reason folks here seem to be going with heavier oils when using synthetics, or diesel oil, than when running "normal" petroleum oils?

-- Bill
              Diesel engine oil is available at Walmart and most auto part stores. Standard dino diesel oil weight is 15W-40 - a smig thicker than 10W-40 when cold but close enough since most of us don't ride when it's freezing. No reason to use anything heavier unless riding in the heat of summer where some people like to go to 20W-50. Amsoil and Redline oils are harder to find - try Google.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Every owner will have their own opinion.
                I've read the studies, and concluded that motorcycle-specific oil is a waste of money.
                In one study, motorcycle-specific oil was compared to Castrol GTX 10W40 with about the same results, and the leftover money jingling in your pockets.
                All 10W40 oils are not fuel conserving (or whatever they call it) which is what you want.
                Pep Boys now has 5 qts. of the GTX with a Valvoline filter (maybe you can use the filter for your car) for $12.99. I bought mine yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Florida Guy View Post
                  Every owner will have their own opinion.
                  I've read the studies, and concluded that motorcycle-specific oil is a waste of money.
                  In one study, motorcycle-specific oil was compared to Castrol GTX 10W40 with about the same results, and the leftover money jingling in your pockets.
                  All 10W40 oils are not fuel conserving (or whatever they call it) which is what you want.
                  Pep Boys now has 5 qts. of the GTX with a Valvoline filter (maybe you can use the filter for your car) for $12.99. I bought mine yesterday.
                  I'd generally agree but motor oils have changed in the last few years so unless the test was done recently (as in the last year) it's not really valid anymore.

The problem with auto oils is they have to be formulated to not contaminate the catalyst(s) in modern cars. The tightened standards required the oil manufacturers to reduce the amount of zinc and other high pressure additives in the oil recently. Even diesel engine oil is effected these days, but to a lesser degree. For that reason, I used to be a fan of auto oils but not any more.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Redline

Redline is available from Summit or order direct at redlineoil.com

Comment

ugh. this thread topic again???? i just switched from pennzoil dino 10 40 to rotella synth 5 40, it seems delicious. only, like, 16 bucks for a gallon of it from auto ripoff zone, cheaper than dino these days. many will say it matters not, so long as it is not energy conserving (naughty for wet clutch) and you change it regularly.
                      1983 GS 1100 ESD :D

Comment

Does anyone use these any more?

Every shop (5) I ever worked in had an oil refractometer, and a brake fluid refractometer.
                        And every shop I ever worked in had it buried in the back of a drawer, disused.
                        Does any one use one anymore to evaluate their own oil (or their claims?)

Just curious.

Oh, and if you don't know what one is, here's a link:
                        Buy and sell on eCRATER, an online marketplace and free online store builder

Thanks,
                        Shaughn
                        +++++++++++
                        '78 GS750E - Primer & Pain

Comment

Where to get AMsoil?

In Canada, Canadian tire carries it in litres.

Art

Comment

I can vouch for the Red Line oils, a friend uses it (and Royal Purple) in his 800+hp stock cars and goes the entire season without refreshing the engines. Dyno pulls show it adding a few ponies, too.
                            Plus, it is impervious to alcohol, which he runs one engine on. Since you must run so much fuel through the engine to make the same power you wash down the rings with alky and it gets into the oil tank (dry sump).
                            Drain the oil, flash off the alky and pour the oil right back in!
                            He also uses their gear lube, this stuff won't wipe off! Pull the gears out of the rear end, hang them in the trailer and weeks later they are still hard to hold onto. He also goes the season without changing it. used to use Valvoline synthetic and after three weeks it smelled burnt.
                            So, now I use it in the trannies and rear ends of my Guzzis and it will go in the GS.

Many speed shops carry it or go to the dealer locator on their website.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Lacroix View Post
                              In Canada, Canadian tire carries it in litres.

Art
                              That's downright un-American.
                              and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                              __________________________________________________ ______________________
                              2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

I just use Delo 400 15w-40 and have for long time. 80K+ and rollling great. Rotella 15w-40 works great too.

Comment

Working...
                                X