Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The factory messed up my 1150!

Here's a good one for ya:

My 1150 just turned over 6100 miles. So I decide to do a valve check and give her a tune up and complete detail. I've never even taken off the fuel screw caps, so I decided I'd do that too since I now have a Colortune, and I have always had two plugs (2 and 3) that were a tad leaner than the other ones.

When I put my bike into storage originally, the carbs were taken off and flushed and stored properly. They have never been taken apart for anything except to empty the bowls. So I'm taking them apart, and I noticed that Suzuki put the main jets in wrong! They are supposed to have 120's on 1 and 4, and 122.5's on 2 and 3. Instead they were put in 122.5, 120, 120, 122.5. 1 and 4 fuel screws were set at 3/4 turns out, and 2 and 3 were set at 2 turns out. So sounds like they even tried to compensate for the mix-up!

So now (23 years later) everything is back where it should be. I'll be hooking up gas and synching/colortuning in the morning. :-?
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Originally posted by renobruce View Post
    Here's a good one for ya:

My 1150 just turned over 6100 miles. So I decide to do a valve check and give her a tune up and complete detail. I've never even taken off the fuel screw caps, so I decided I'd do that too since I now have a Colortune, and I have always had two plugs (2 and 3) that were a tad leaner than the other ones.

When I put my bike into storage originally, the carbs were taken off and flushed and stored properly. They have never been taken apart for anything except to empty the bowls. So I'm taking them apart, and I noticed that Suzuki put the main jets in wrong! They are supposed to have 120's on 1 and 4, and 122.5's on 2 and 3. Instead they were put in 122.5, 120, 120, 122.5. 1 and 4 fuel screws were set at 3/4 turns out, and 2 and 3 were set at 2 turns out. So sounds like they even tried to compensate for the mix-up!

So now (23 years later) everything is back where it should be. I'll be hooking up gas and synching/colortuning in the morning. :-?
    that explains why you only beat that V-ROD by .03 seconds!

Comment

I thought the inside cylinders (2&3) would run hotter so a leaner jet would be needed.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

They run bigger jets in the middle because of the heat. A bigger jet would richen the center two, making them run cooler.
        85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

84 GS1150

Type----------------- Mikuni BS36SS
          I.D. NO. -------------00A10
          Bore -----------------36mm
          Idle r/min----------- 1100+or- 100r/min
          Fuel level------------ 3.0 +- 0.5 mm
          Float height---------- 21.4 +- 1.0 mm
          Main jet ------------- #120(nos.1&4),#122.5(nos 2&3)
          jet needle------------ 5D14
          Needle jet ----------- X-3
          Pilot jet ---------------#45
          By pass--------------- 0.9,0.8,0.9 mm
          pilot outlet------------ 0.9 mm
          Valve seat------------ 2.0 mm
          Starter jet------------ #32.5
          Pilot screw------------ PRE-SET (2 turns back)
          Throttle valve--------- #130
          pilot air jet------------- #125
          Throttle cable play-----2-3 mm
          choke cable play-------0.5-1.0 mm
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
            that explains why you only beat that V-ROD by .03 seconds!
            I smell a rematch!
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

do you think you can claim a set of replacement carbs under the manufacturer's warranty?

what??? with 6100miles the bike is practically NEW, eh?

GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                do you think you can claim a set of replacement carbs under the manufacturer's warranty?
                No but you could try for a A.W.A. (after warranty adjustment)!

"I'm sorry sir and yes I understand it's only got 6100 miles, but it is a little to old..."
                "but we have this little museum, WANNA SELL IT?"
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

This has to be the one and only time a factory has had things messed up from the get go. Never happens...

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                    This has to be the one and only time a factory has had things messed up from the get go. Never happens...
                    Yes, I'm sure mine was the only one.* I'm surprised I didn't notice a performance issue. Maybe it's because I'm at high altitude (5,200 ft.) or because I've never ridden another 1150. She should run better!
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Yes, I'm sure mine was the only one.* I'm surprised I didn't notice a performance issue. Maybe it's because I'm at high altitude (5,200 ft.) or because I've never ridden another 1150. She should run better!
                      I ran my 1150 with 122.5 on all cylinders. It seemed to run slightly better than with the stock arrangement. Ran it about 50K miles like that, no problems, and it gets hot in So Fl.

Earl
                      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

She should run better!
                        ...and very soon we'll all know whether she does, eh, Bruce? :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
                          ...and very soon we'll all know whether she does, eh, Bruce? :-)
                          Yeah, I'll let you know! And maybe throw in some pics since she's sooo clean right now!
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

And maybe throw in some pics since she's sooo clean right now!
                            sigpic
                            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride
                            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Good find Bruce. Just goes to show "factory" installed still means installed by a human being.
                              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                              X