No announcement yet.

broken down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The part I need is #1 on this schematic, but its not listed on the price list. I checked years up to 1983 and that part is never listed. How the heck do I find one?

Comment

Originally posted by beherenow71 View Post
      The part I need is #1 on this schematic, but its not listed on the price list. I checked years up to 1983 and that part is never listed. How the heck do I find one?

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmot...m6064sch262536
      That generally means it's not available from suzuki anymore. You may have to hit the junkyards/ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Clutch pushrod on the 550's pull out from the clutch side. Going to have to cut it off before trying to pull it through.
        Do you mean it won't come out from the left side?
        Is it fatter on the clutch end or something?

Beherenow,
        Someone on this forum probably has an extra pushrod laying around, go to the parts wanted forum and post what you need.
        http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

A retaining clip somewhere?

Suzuki mad

Comment

I've gotten this far on the other side, but now what do I do?

Comment

Anyone please? No idea what I'm to do next to get that rod out.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

Where are you located? Perhaps there's a GSR member nearby who could be of help...

Good luck - don't panic - this too shall pass!

Regards,

Comment

Clutch cover with kick starter? Isn't the clutch on the left side of the bike and the kick start on the right side?
                  Clutch is on the RIGHT side. The SHIFTER is on the right. There is an arm/rod that travels thru the motor to the other side.

Comment

What he meant to say is clutch is on the right side, shifter is on the LEFT (as I'm sure you know since you already removed it...)

Regards,

Comment

I'm in Nebraska. I know people said earlier that I would need to break the rod to get it out. I'm not really concerned about that, except knowing where to break it and then will a new rod just slide in? I'm so close yet so far from getting this thing fixed.

Comment

Anyone please? No idea what I'm to do next to get that rod out.
                        Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                        Going to have to cut it off before trying to pull it through.
                        cut the bent part of the rod as close to the seal as possible.
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

A fiberglass cutting wheel on a dremel will get the job done in less than a minute, BUT you'll want to try and line the surrounding area with an oil dampened rag (not soaked) to capture the metal filings that will come off as you cut. A bolt cutter would be ideal if only you could get it into that small space ... chances are it wouldn't even get close...

Regards,

Comment

So, if I cut the bent part off, will the rest slide out? Or will I have to pound it out? right now, when we have pounded it doesn't seem to move at all, the bent part is not whats stopping it, we haven't tried that hard however.

Comment

Now granted I have not personally removed that piece on my bikes, but given what others have said that bent piece is supposed to be perfectly straight. if it were straight it would hypothetically slide right out the other side of the case, BUT there may be a retaining clip or something else that needs to be removed before it comes out - I DON'T KNOW, but others here will. Don't pound on it until you know for sure that everything on the other side that needs to be removed HAS been removed - then you should be ok. Also, you may want to wait until you have the replacement piece in hand ... then you can visualize how it's supposed to go in and out.

Last, from the way it looks in the picture it seems that even if you cut it perfectly flush with the seal there may be a part that still binds as you attempt to remove it. It might be a little risky, but you might want to try slightly bending the rod back a little before you cut it - be VERY careful if you try this, because you don't want to crack the case if it's not already broken. If it were me I'd probably try to bend it back just a little bit, though, before slicing the damaged end off.

Good luck and
                              Regards,
                              Last edited by Guest; 07-11-2008, 03:56 PM. Reason: fixed a typo

Comment

The clutch rod should be in the centre of the clutch where the main shaft comes out.

Have a look.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Working...
                                X