broken float post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broken float post

In the middle of tearing down and cleaning my carbs and replacing rings I broke one of the float posts in carb #2. I didn't see it break off. I had major problems removing the needle valve seat. and I think i applied some lateral pressure to the posts trying the coax the needle valve seat out. I did a dip and when i pulled it out i noticed the post was broken off and found the missing piece in the bottom of the dip can.

so what are my options? can I buy a new carb body? will i have to buy a whole set? I searched online briefly and didn't find anything for sale.

Aaron

well my cousin had this same issue on his 1981 yamaha 850 midnight special, the PO broke the post so he just got new carbs on ebay, i was thinking you could prolly make one outof that epoxy steel thats liek a putty and drill it but it has to be DEAD ON.

id keep an eye on ebay and see if ya cant get a set of carbs

Comment

There are many ways to repair a broken post, short of replacing the body. the way I did it is by drilling a centered hole in both halves of the post.

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

thanks for the tip. i'll try that out!

Comment

Or try this:

79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I just JB Welded my post back on. Works like a charm.

Comment

This topic comes up all the time. Lots of info in the archives - use search function.

Bottom line: JD Weld will soften with time when subjected to constant gas emersion. Members here report posts breaking loose after gluing. There are other adhesives that can be used that seem to hold up better - don't know all the details. Also, drilling a hole in the post for insertion of a pin, and/or wraping the post with a metal splint, seems to be a more substantional fix.

Best fix is finding a new/used carb body. Lots of people here with offer you up an old carb body if you ask in the Parts Wanted area.

Good luck.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yep, JB Weld won't hold. Mine didn't last 24 hours with JB weld. One night sitting in that gas bath in the float bowl and by the next morning it was toast. Mine has actually held for 2 weeks with of all things Super Glue while I wait on a body to be delivered. Short of a body, the fix Nessism mentions with a brass tube looks like the best solution.

Comment

I had this very problem two weeks ago on my GS1000.
                  The PO had broken the post on #4 and JB welded it. The JB weld softened and the fuel filled the crankcase.
                  Took the carb to a welder and had them TIG weld it.
                  Probably stronger than when new!

Comment

For those that tired JB Weld what type did you use?
                    I was looking at the JB Weld website and they Waterweld product claims to work under water and in gas tanks. maybe that will do the trick?

Comment

Mine was the standard JB Weld. I'd still do the brass tube probably, seems like the most permanent solution. My permanent solution was a whole spare set of carbs that allow me to swap out that body.

Comment

not to stray off topic, but there has been a noob outbreak hasnt there? must be the gas prices.

no offense to noobs.

Comment

yep, folks are digging the old 70s and 80s bikes out of the shed and getting them running again since their value has risen making repairing them worthwhile.

A friend owns an indepenent shop and is swamped with old bikes and people now willing to pay what it takes to make them run. A year ago and they would say to forget it.

Comment

Dam.

That means that classic parts will go up also. The even more sort after bits will get expensive.

Suzuki mad

Comment

Parts

Originally posted by Suzuki mad View Post
                              Dam.

That means that classic parts will go up also. The even more sort after bits will get expensive.

Suzuki mad
                              Yeah, for sure. The price for parts on Ebay has increased dramatically in the last 5 or 6 years.
                              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Working...
                              X