Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help w/ wiring diagram

Hi -

Using the stator papers I've replaced the stator on my '82 GS850L and now need to replace the R/R. A neighbor who used to work on Honda's gave me an old/new 8-wire Honda R/R with 2 white connectors - one w/ 5 wires and the other 3 wires. I found the wiring diagram below that I believe shows the proper wiring configuration since it has the wires grouped the same way. My question is since my bike only has 3 wires from the stator to the R/R and looking at the diagram can I just connect the black and white wires from the R/R going to the stator? It appears from the diagram that these wires go into the stator and connect inside through a coil.

Paul

Just a guess, but the two extra wires appear to be used to connect a field winding for the Honda alternator. As I understand, the GS bikes (or atleast mine) have permanent magnets on the rotors, and thus don't have a field winding (the field winding is basically an electromagnet).

I expect that you could use the R/R and leave the white and black wires floating/unconnected, but I would not do this without conducting some more research.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks - didn't know what the purpose of the field winding was. I just figured that every wire needs to go somewhere.

Comment

I'd be wary of just hooking this up and seeing if it works. It's possible that the GS stator outputs would be greater that that of the Honda alternator and could cause the rectifier to fail. If the diodes in the rectifier fail shorted, you could potentially burn up your stator too.

If the Honda and Suzuki alternator/stator have similar outputs at similar operating speeds and/or this is a common swap, it may be worth a try. You might find a honda repair manual and see what output voltages are to be expected from the honda alternator.

Comment

Cooking with electrons

Hi Mr. PaulC,

Most of the Suzukis use 5 or 6 wire r/r units. Three output wires from the stator to the three input wires on the r/r. The r/r ground wire goes directly to the negative battery terminal. The red wire goes into the harness, through the fusebox, eventually to the positive battery terminal. If there is a 6th wire, this is a "sense" wire. This gets connected to a switched power source to monitor the system's DC voltage and tell the regulator when to regulate. Here's Mr. duaneage's diagram of the Honda r/r units he sells:

This is a diagram of the typical 5 wire r/r units that came stock:

I've got Suzuki wiring diagrams on my website. Feel free to download them and compare. I don't know what the extra coil is for in the Honda alternator, but these GS bikes don't have it. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

If you could tell us the color of the wires on your honda regulator, that would be a help. Ideal would be to get a schematic of the bike it came off of.

Comment

the black and grey wires in your diagram power the field coil. different system all together.
              the regulator shown adjusts the voltage and current going to the field winding, to the needs/requirements of that bikes electrical system.
              the charging system on our bikes outputs a defined voltage and current (wattage) for a given rpm. what is not used by the bikes needs/requirements is given up as heat.

get a different r/r.
              Last edited by rustybronco; 07-07-2008, 11:45 PM.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Nor sure if it would work ? I would NOT connect the two wires together

Comment

PaulC,

Good that you incuded the schematic related to the R/R you are trying to use. That schematic contains the answer to your question of where to connect that balck and that white wire. They are to connect to somthing your GS doesnt have, because the stator in your GS is a differeent type than intended to use with the type of R/R you are trying to use.

And, Like RustyBronco said....
                  Well, yah, everything he said.

The R/Rs that Dunnage provides are a type used on most Hondas, but are not like this one you have.
                  http://webpages.charter.net/ddvrnr/GS850_1100_Emblems.jpg
                  Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                  GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

https://imgur.com/YTMtgq4

Comment

Thanks for all the info.

Was going on the neighbor's advice that R/R's were "pretty much" the same. Guess there's a lot of play in "pretty much"".

Thanks again - will check with duaneage.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X