Turn signals inop.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turn signals inop.

I have a 1979 gs550 l. When i flip the turn signal switch either way, the turn signal indicator on the gauges light up (solid), but the signals do not light up at all. I have power at the switch, going into the relay, fuse, and all 4 sockets. I have tried replaceing the flasher relay (with a used part) but i still have the same problem. What should i try?

Originally posted by 79GS550 L View Post
    I have a 1979 gs550 l... and all 4 sockets. I have tried replaceing the flasher relay (with a used part) but i still have the same problem. What should i try?
    all what 4 sockets?
    do you mean you have power to the lamp sockets? if so you also need a ground path.
    you would be better finding a wiring diagram to locate the grounds. which would help with further trouble shooting if needed.
    the two grounds for the front turn signals are usually in the head light bucket.
    Last edited by rustybronco; 07-09-2008, 12:42 PM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

If both the lights on the side come one and the indicator light glows, then i would suspect the flasher unit. If it is not the flasher as you have proved, then it is usually caused by the incorrect wattage bulbs. You need both 23 Watt bulbs in the front and back for the flasher to work properly. If its the flasher you can buy a cheap universal one at an auto parts store that does not depend on the current flow to work. A 2 pin normally just plugs in and will flash properly with any wattage bulbs.

Edit: My apologies, missed the part where you said the lights do not come on at all. My suggestion is then not applicable, hope it did not mislead you.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2008, 02:55 PM. Reason: Misread the question!

Comment

Broken earth wire somewhere. Could be in the switch gear itself.

Whats the state of play with the battery?

Suzuki mad
        Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2008, 12:56 PM. Reason: added more.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
          If both the lights on the side come one and the indicator light glows, then i would suspect the flasher unit. ...
          Originally posted by 79GS550 L View Post
          ... but the signals do not light up at all.
          I'm with RustyBronco on this one. If you have power in, it has to have someplace to go. Check the ground wires. As mentioned, the grounds for the front usually terminate in the headlight bucket, but they originate at the turn signal mounts on the inside of the 'ears' that hold the headlight bucket to the forks. Try loosening the turnsignal mounting nut, then re-tightening it to assure good electrical connection on the gound ring terminals.

The rear signals usually have longer wires that lead to a manifold ground connector under the seat, maybe on top of the rear fender.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Could be in the switch gear itself.
            always a good possibility.

Don't discount having four bad bulbs.

dig up the wiring diagram.
            start looking here http://members.dslextreme.com/users/.../550intro.html
            Last edited by rustybronco; 07-09-2008, 01:22 PM.

Comment

I just fixed a turn signal problem turned out to be a bullet connector that was
              loose if you pulled on it the lights worked if u pushed it in they wouldn't.
              The connectors were in my fairing if u dont have 1 maybe in the head light or under the gas tank. In my case the back blinker turned on but not the front 1
              and no blinking when i wiggled the plug everything came on and blinked. I also
              cleaned the contacts on the flashed and it blinked faster after that.
              That was my last problem just waiting on a new RR and I should be all set. Good luck
              I should of said it was the connectors were all covered with a haze after i cleaned both ends with steel wool a little bulb grease plugged them back together and it worked fine so the bottom line was check and clean all the lighting connectors
              Last edited by Guest; 07-09-2008, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I'm with RustyBronco on this one. If you have power in, it has to have someplace to go. Check the ground wires. As mentioned, the grounds for the front usually terminate in the headlight bucket, but they originate at the turn signal mounts on the inside of the 'ears' that hold the headlight bucket to the forks. Try loosening the turnsignal mounting nut, then re-tightening it to assure good electrical connection on the gound ring terminals.

The rear signals usually have longer wires that lead to a manifold ground connector under the seat, maybe on top of the rear fender.

Sorry missed the part that the lights do not come on at all. I must be getting a bit old and losing concentration. I agree with Steve and RustyBronco on this one. Sorry if I confused you. Steve thanks for pointing that out

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                  Sorry missed the part that the lights do not come on at all.
                  Never sweat the small stuff...

Originally posted by lucabond View Post
                  so the bottom line was check and clean all the lighting connectors
                  wise words!
                  Last edited by rustybronco; 07-09-2008, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Yes, it sounds like the flasher unit is either not working or the wrong one. This is how my signals acted until I replaced the unit.

Comment

Working...
                    X