Where to start ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to start ?

Look what I brought home yesterday. A 1981 GS750L with about 12,000 miles. I was told the carbs have been cleaned. (doubt it). It does run, but very rough. I'm going to start by cleaning the carbs. Sound good to everyone or is there a better place to begin ?
    Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Welcome to the GSR. Yes, cleaning the carbs is a good place to start. Other things that need to be addressed are Checking the valve clearances and checking the charging system. There is a ton of good information in the "Garage" found on the GSR home page and also on Basscliff's site.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

First off...Welcome!! You'll be glad you found this site.

Did you remove the air box/filter? Or is it missing? That could cause her to run poorly...even if the carbs are good.

OK--Now sit back and wait for your mega-welcome

Paging Mr. Basscliff....New member on board!

Bob T.
      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Looks nice!

Now it's time to get your hands dirty and have some fun!

You will soon get an email from Basscliff that will detail all the basic up-keep these bikes need to get it to its operational baseline.

Good luck!

Rick

Comment

In your thumb nail picture there is no air box on it.
          as was said before put it back on then try it. or if you don't have one GET one.

Welcome to the clan!
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I have the air box, it was off the bike when I picked it up, I saw no reason to put it back on yet. I'm a little worried to try to start it up when it's running so poorly. I don't want to do any damage. I just rolled it into the garage last night and I haven't taken anything apart yet to see what the carbs look like, but from what I've read, I should just plan on cleaning/rebuilding them.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
              I have the air box, it was off the bike when I picked it up, I saw no reason to put it back on yet. I'm a little worried to try to start it up when it's running so poorly. I don't want to do any damage. I just rolled it into the garage last night and I haven't taken anything apart yet to see what the carbs look like, but from what I've read, I should just plan on cleaning/rebuilding them.
              You should plkan on carb clean, and as stated by others not having the airbox, with a proper filter in it WILL make the bike run like crap.

Comment

The airbox, air filter and carbs are designed to work together. The airbox/filter provide the needed vacuum for the CV carbs to function properly. It will run like crap until they are installed properly with no leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                  Did you remove the air box/filter? Or is it missing? That could cause her to run poorly...even if the carbs are good.
                  as was said before put it back on then try it. or if you don't have one GET one.
                  You should plkan on carb clean, and as stated by others not having the airbox, with a proper filter in it WILL make the bike run like crap.
                  The airbox, air filter and carbs are designed to work together. The airbox/filter provide the needed vacuum for the CV carbs to function properly. It will run like crap until they are installed properly with no leaks.
                  get the point
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thought I'd throw in another pic. Only paid $650, pretty good deal, huh ?Understand about the airbox and filter. I'm going to take off the carbs and give them a good inspection tonight and see where I stand. Thanks in advance for the help from everyone. Looking forward to the adventure.
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thought I'd throw in another pic. Only paid $650, pretty good deal, huh ?Understand about the airbox and filter. I'm going to take off the carbs and give them a good inspection tonight and see where I stand. Thanks in advance for the help from everyone. Looking forward to the adventure.
                      If the PO said he cleaned them, I'd just try putting the air box and filter back on first. Maybe it will be fine.
                      It's also possible he didn't get them adjust correctly after cleaning them.

Just my $0.02
                      Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                      '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Oh and by the way, did anybody mention anything about getting the airbox and filter properly installed/seated/sealed?

Welcome aboard, you won't find any more helpful people anywhere else in the world than you will here.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                          If the PO said he cleaned them, I'd just try putting the air box and filter back on first. Maybe it will be fine.
                          It's also possible he didn't get them adjust correctly after cleaning them.

Just my $0.02
                          I wholeheartedly second this! Make sure something is actually broken before you fix it! No need to do a lot of unneccesary work.

Comment

Update

Thought I'd update.

Done everything "by the book". Cleaned carbs. Adjusted valves. Bought an impact driver, the best tool ever, btw. New gaskets all around. Found (finally) and bought an air filter box, with the metal lid, I had the front one already. Drained the NASTY oil, new oil filter. New spark plugs. Probably some other things i can't think of right now. So......... after some help with electrics in a couple days, I'm going to hit the start button.

Keep your fingers crossed.

Thanks to everyone here. And a note to everyone just starting....learn how to use the search option on this site !! I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that you're question has already been answered.
                            Larry D
                            1980 GS450S
                            1981 GS450S
                            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I pick up a 82 Gs1100gk for $550 and thought I got a good deal too. That was a $1000 ago lol. Sorta hinted around to the wife today that I may have spent more money that I thought I'd have to. But I figure she always buying crap from QVC so its my turn lol.........
                              Welcome and enjoy the best people in the world are here on this site.......

Comment

Working...
                              X