Charging and R/R Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging and R/R Question

When I check my battery with my bike idling, I get around 12.3 volts.

When I rev up to 2500 rpms, I get a little over 13.5 volts.

But when I rev about 2500 rpms, I go up to about 13.9 or so and it starts dropping back down a little at, say 4000 rpms. (note, I have gone through and cleaned my connections).

Is this ok? I know it's close but not exact to the Stator guide.

Also, I am considering replacing my R/R. After Reading BikeCliffs article, I noted the picture of his R/R next to the Honda one.

My R/R on my 79 GS 750 looks very much like the Larger Honda one in the picture, and nothing like BikeCliffs. Also, it is mounted on the bottom of the battery case.

I could also see that it was grounded essentially to itself, on the screw holding it in. Should I lengthen the wire and run the ground up to the batteries negative terminal? Or just to the bikes frame?

Any comments----?

A GOOD frame ground works as does the battery. 13.9 is more than enough. I max at about 13.87 and have had no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by ryonker View Post
      When I check my battery with my bike idling, I get around 12.3 volts.

When I rev up to 2500 rpms, I get a little over 13.5 volts.

But when I rev about 2500 rpms, I go up to about 13.9 or so and it starts dropping back down a little at, say 4000 rpms. (note, I have gone through and cleaned my connections).

Is this ok? I know it's close but not exact to the Stator guide.

Any comments----?
      check it @ 5,000rpm. the minimum I consider acceptable with the high beam on is 13.8 volts, 14.2 would be better.
      how does the stator check out?
      Last edited by rustybronco; 07-16-2008, 02:44 PM.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Sounds about right to me. What you're seeing with the small voltage drop is the regulator kicking in and drawing off excess current. Any additional revving will just shunt more current but keep the voltage constant.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
          check it @ 5,000rpm. the minimum I consider acceptable with the high beam on is 13.8 volts, 14.2 would be better.
          how does the stator check out?
          I know you were talking to him...but
          My brand new electrosport only puts out about 50 across the three legs. I have never confirmed, but I think they might even make them to be a little lower voltage as it's less for the regulator to deal with, but enough to charge. That's just my crackpot theory though.

Comment

Ryonker, on my 1980 gs750L , the R/R looked like the big one as well. Perhaps there were big ones on some models, as I'm pretty sure mine was original, it still even had the odd bit of material on one of the wires.

Comment

I am not sure if this did it; but I spiced in a small amount of wire to my R/R's ground (which was ground to itself, on the bottom of my battery case) and I moved the ground to the negative battery terminal.

Now, with the lights on, as I rev to 4000 rpm, it goes over 14 volts easy; then back down a little.

Maybe the negative battery terminal option works

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by doctorgonzo View Post
                I know you were talking to him...but
                My brand new electrosport only puts out about 50 across the three legs. I have never confirmed, but I think they might even make them to be a little lower voltage as it's less for the regulator to deal with, but enough to charge. That's just my crackpot theory though.
                50 volts rectified is about 25 volts, which is more than acceptable.
                what I was looking for was around 30 volts.
                I was looking for the total picture, something the likes of, it's charging at 13.4 volts, he rides with low beams on, goes only long distances. it still may be workable

but the big question is
                and it starts dropping back down a little
                how much is a little?

***edit and he answered it***
                Last edited by rustybronco; 07-16-2008, 04:49 PM.

Comment

then back down a little.
                  Rick
                  your final voltage is in the mid 14 volt range?
                  good to go...

Comment

I'm pretty sure the manual spec is 75 volts ac between all three legs of the stator.

Comment

Yeah, around 14 something volts. And it really doesn't drop back down any more...only when I cut back on the throttle.

Thanks for the responses!

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by eddiev View Post
                        I'm pretty sure the manual spec is 75 volts ac between all three legs of the stator.
                        For an OEM stator, electrosport stators put out lower voltage.

Comment

Working...
                        X